Good upload speed but bitrate continues to drop like crazy.

mucks

Okay my apologies I'm being annoying about this lol, but this stuff is happening again and fr stressing out about it. I bought a new expensive modem along with the nighthawk router to replace the one xfinity gave to us. For some reason, it continues to drop a crap ton of frames out of nowhere. Keep in mind, my internet connection is very smooth, upload speed is great even; when I stream, it's dropping a crap load. I contacted my ISP about it, they said it was good on both sides.

Just to keep it short, it drops bitrate horribly for every 15 - 30 minutes. I dunno what to do. I followed the troubleshoots that the OBS peeps recommended; I have no luck. Some other recommendations would be awesome. Log file below for you guys to check it out. Thank you.
1701920007824.png

Attachments

• 2023-12-06 19-46-47.txt
    76.2 KB · Views: 24

mucks

still doing it again after auto-wizard tool

Attachments

• 2023-12-07 16-53-21.txt
    58 KB · Views: 19

qhobbes

You're dropping frames due to insufficient bandwidth/connection stalls. I would start with enabling Dynamic Bitrate as that will actually lower the bitrate of the stream instead of dropping frames.

mucks

You're dropping frames due to insufficient bandwidth/connection stalls. I would start with enabling Dynamic Bitrate as that will actually lower the bitrate of the stream instead of dropping frames.
I'm not gonna lie to you chief, i really don't want my stream to look so pixelated everytime it drops so many bitrate. i fr wanna fix this problem.

Lawrence_SoCal

I'm not gonna lie to you chief, i really don't want my stream to look so pixelated everytime it drops so many bitrate. i fr wanna fix this problem.
I have no idea where you are in terms of networking knowledge and expertise, so please don't take offense if any of this is too basic

Short answer to fixing problem - make sure your PC isn't the problem, then fix your network
- An issue with your OBS Studio Setup is possible, but not the most likely cause of the bandwidth contention.
- thermal throttling on a laptop can be a tricky one to identify

Longer answer - the disconnect troubleshooting guide on this site is a good start,
A challenge many people have is hitting a comment/recommendation in that guide they don't understand (or know how to perform) and skipping it... then saying the followed the guide [which, obviously they didn't].

To troubleshoot network/bandwidth contention, you MUST
- Identify - Is your ISP a flexible bandwidth provider (cellular, coax cable, etc)?
if Yes, Either change ISPs to a fixed bandwidth provider (usually not the best option); or
adjust your expectation and settings to meet the low common threshold, not maximum (or your desired) bitrate
and then there is the issue of ALL traffic on your network. Read lots of prior posts why should NOT take something like Ookla's Speedtest Upload rate as one's usable streaming bitrate

- An end-user MUST perform thorough (often, real-time) monitoring on network traffic at your LAN/WAN edge (firewall/router/modem)?
most people think they know what traffic is on their LAN, and are wrong. .. for different reasons.
Troubleshooting requires KNOWING exactly what traffic you have, in this case especially outbound (but not limited to that)
If there is more traffic than expected (ie not just OBS's streaming traffic), that traffic could be coming from your PC, other PCs on LAN, or 'smart' device/other. A decent monitoring tool should help identify source IP on your LAN, and then digging further depends on traffic type, destination, and device type (ie regular Operating System, IoT, etc)
The most common issue is traffic someone hadn't thought about. Or malware on LAN, or neighbor getting free ride on your WiFi, etc. but there are plenty of legitimate traffic that users just don't think about/aren't aware of.

for other thoughts, see my other recent posts in this forum on a disconnect thread