Global Filter Application for Final Output

LemonLeezard

It's my understanding that currently, filters (both visual and auditory) can generally only be applied on a per source/per scene basis.
But I was wondering if there were any plans to add functionality for filters that can be added to the overall final output from OBS?

For example, I want to make an stream setup with a collection of filters that make it look you're viewing an old VHS tape. An video of this effect is provided below.

Currently the only two options I have for achieving this kind of setup is to either have filters added to every scene, or to send my output to another instance of OBS via Virtual Cam and digital line outs. The ability to instead apply the filters to the actual output would certainly be easier.

Would implementing something like this into OBS be possible?

simotek

I'm also interested in implementing similar, for similar reasons. The only alternative I see is also another OBS instance. If I get spare time I might mess around in the code base to see how technically possible it is, but i've never looked at the OBS codebase before.

simotek

So, having spent a small amount of time researching this topic, I think the cleanest solution is OBS allows you to use a Scene as a source in another scene. So you could create a second scene called "Output" which just includes your normal scene and then allows you to place filters on top of it. Where this gets harder is if you regularly change scenes you'd need to create an output scene for each

AaronD

So, having spent a small amount of time researching this topic, I think the cleanest solution is OBS allows you to use a Scene as a source in another scene. So you could create a second scene called "Output" which just includes your normal scene and then allows you to place filters on top of it. Where this gets harder is if you regularly change scenes you'd need to create an output scene for each
On my Linux rig at least, OBS can capture its own Virtual Camera. If you're okay with the VCam being "clean", and you don't stream or record the main output like OBS normally does, but you do stream or record a specific scene - probably needs a plugin to do that last part, that I *think* already exists - then you can have the VHS filter(s) on that scene, with only a single capture source, that looks at its own VCam.

That would allow you to produce the content as usual, without a ton of identical output scenes except for the source scene that each one looks at, which sounds like a maintenance nightmare to me.