Glitchy-Scratchy audio

FlashKenshin

Good afternoon everyone!

I have seen this post a couple of times before, but I cannot for the life of me, find out what causes the issue.

Not every video, but a lot of the videos I record, the game audio will randomly get all staticky, or glitched, and I have tried reinstalling OBS, verifying all the updates, and removing old splitters that I used before.

I've messed with OBS settings, changed the encoder, the capture rate, made sure all the audio devices used the same hertz, and so far, it still happens.

Log file: https://obsproject.com/logs/CQqgfUT7xkRmB3QB
Example: https://youtu.be/lmXyPpY53gk?si=CLI0XAtNN3lEKwTA&t=412

It goes on for a full minute or something, sometimes it's less, other times it's longer

rockbottom

You should disable HAGS, Game Bar & Game DVR. No idea what ESET is doing to kill performance on your hot rod so I'm moving on...

The Audient mic is @ 44k

Virtual Audio Device (Game) is failing

Been down this road before so I'm going to make the story short, it's the Audient. No matter what you do, if it's in the audio chain, it will glitch. Use your on-board audio until you get something else.

Last edited:

FlashKenshin

ESET is my antivirus program, I usually don't mess with it.

Huh, I never even looked at that, that's my mic. And I don't have any other way to use the mic, since it's the coax cable and not a jack. I use an Audio-Technica AT2020, and the Audient is my little converter box. Do I need a different one?

And I don't even know how the Virtual Audio Device (Gaming) would be failing...

rockbottom

The real q is what is ESET messing with in the background?

Try the changes/updates, before switching to the on-board audio. I honestly don't think they will help since the source of the audio glitching is the Audient.

TBC has the same model, same issue, maybe he has figured out a fix by now.

FlashKenshin

The real q is what is ESET messing with in the background?

Try the changes/updates, before switching to the on-board audio. I honestly don't think they will help since the source of the audio glitching is the Audient.

TBC has the same model, same issue, maybe he has figured out a fix by now.

So I browsed through TBC's thread and saw he hadn't figured it out (and is a lot more knowledgeable than I am on this stuff).

I also disabled HAGS, ordered an XLR to 3.5mm cable (it'll get here tomorrow), and maybe removing the Audient will just get rid of the issue. Hopefully. Granted, am not sure how that's gonna sound like, but I guess that's a tomorrow problem.

rockbottom

He's been at it for a long time, said his audio has been glitching since day 1 with OBS, like 10 years. It might help to send him a PM/work with him to figure it out. Apples to apples testing with the same equipment.

FlashKenshin

He's been at it for a long time, said his audio has been glitching since day 1 with OBS, like 10 years. It might help to send him a PM/work with him to figure it out. Apples to apples testing with the same equipment.
Good point, I'll do that.

Thank you for being so helpful. I've had some bad experiences with asking for help online.

Before wasting your time trying a bunch of "solutions" that have nothing to do with the problem, try this plugin: https://github.com/norihiro/obs-async-audio-filter. OBS has an issue particularly with audio interfaces because it uses the Windows clock for sync instead of the interface's (generally far superior) clock, so they get a little out of sync and errors happen as it tries to catch up. The plugin fixes that by interpolating, essentially, inserting samples to make up the difference instead of just having dropouts. This is all explained on the github page, though if you really want the technical details, there's a bug report and a pull request for the issue that go into the nitty gritty (but that goes over even my head). The plugin author has already worked it into a test version of OBS, but even a few years later, it's still not in the main branch for some reason.

If that doesn't fix it, then come back here and we can look at other solutions. Normally I would suggest buffer size adjustments for crackly audio, but the buffer size adjustment in the Audient software is only for the ASIO driver, the Windows side is adjusted automatically. I would not remove the Audient and an XLR to 3.5 mm adapter won't help anyway. The AT 2020 is a condenser mic and needs 48v phantom power that an internal sound card on your PC cannot provide. Audient has some of the highest quality and most reliable audio interfaces on the market, so I would really suggest exploring other solutions before dumping it for something else.

rockbottom

I saw in the user manual a section on the "Master Clock". It's been at least a month since I looked at it & I deleted the pdf file but I do remember seeing something like (3) different modes being available.