Question / Help Getting real angry at OBS.

Soo Kxrma

For once please just make a damn tutorial for mac users. Such a stress for us because you add all these features which nobody knows how to use. Every question i have is not answered for gods sake guys make a tutorial on how to stream el gato with obs. Its getting me pissed off and I might just be done with this software.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Sorry, that you're angry. OBS for Mac is still very much in alpha, and it doesn't help that 100% of the blame for the Elgato not working in OBS is to be placed on Elgato themselves. If you need to take a break and come back with things have matured more, feel free.

Trial and error, you have to be willing to play around with it and test different settings out for the desired end product. As DodgePong mentioned, Elgato is very much to blame with any incompatibility issues. That being said, OBS for Mac is working masterfully for me and with the latest update adding Syphon support, really added a new layer to play around with! Continued steady releases with added support.

Krazy

Town drunk
OBS/your PC seem to be performing well, no skipped frames. When you say the stream is choppy, do you mean it's buffering when you try to watch it?

Luchador138

Just use Elgato's software until they add facecam in the coming months maybe? Its available for PC but mac is coming soon. If you really want to stream you may want to consider this, as said before OBS is in alpha so its not quite there yet. You can also record your computer games with the elgato using a HDMI to display port adapter, there are videos on youtube.

@dodgepong, I haven't streamed recently with the new OBS update, but with 5.1 I noticed that with window capture OBS would lag the elgato game capture, so I may also try streaming without window capture, to see if there is any difference.

Luchador138

Krazy there is a lag issue, if thats what he means by choppy, also your stream will reflect that and look kinda stuttery but on elgato my stream looks better then ever according to my viewers, so yeah OBS is just not there yet I think.

dodgepong

Administrator
Forum Admin
Luchador, you should probably post your log as well. It's not really fair to compare encoding with an Elgato vs. encoding with OBS, because Elgato does all the encoding on the device itself, while OBS uses CPU. It's very possible that you're pushing your computer too far with your OBS settings and don't know it. Live video encoding is very demanding.

Soo Kxrma

OBS/your PC seem to be performing well, no skipped frames. When you say the stream is choppy, do you mean it's buffering when you try to watch it?

Basically when I see the stream on OBS itself and the stream on twitch on another device the stream seems to be laggy. It's just a bit choppy but not good to watch at all. I use window capture to show the el gato. Any solution?

carmont492

The lag you are experiencing when looking at the preview on OBS and the stream on another device is to be expected. All streams has this 'lag' more commonly known as stream delay, and in my experience (limited it may be) can be anywhere from 10-30 seconds. As for a choppy stream, as dodgepong has said, a VOD would be helpful, or a link to your stream (if allowed), VODs can be found on your teitch profile.

Agentgoomba

I'm also experiencing this choppy look as well using the el gato hd and OBS. The strange part however, it doesn't seem to be choppy on a VOD, but when viewing it either on Chrome or twitch app, it appears to be choppy at times. I don't know, maybe I'm crazy.

want to know how to stream elgato on OBS for mac? Well no problem I can help you out with that seeing that is what I do.
Step one: Go to Elgato Custom service send them a message requesting for EyeTv3 free download tell them you have purchased the elgato and give them viable proof of your purchase or you won't get the Key for the EyeTv download for free (EyeTv is expensive but free to elgato owners)
Step Two: (first step may take up to 48 hours) Download EyeTv install it under the Game Capture card.
Step Three: Go into OBS right click in the sources click add-> syphon then in syphon click Launch Syphon Inject, scroll down click EyeTv and vola Elgato in OBS

NOTE: only works for Game Capture HD not the new Game Capture Elgato complain to elgato about that

Now to add your elgato sound into your stream do this
Go into EyeTV in the top bar tab click audio-> audio source->soundflower 2ch
go into OBS go into settings audio->desktop audio device to soundflower 2ch

The above setup will work just fine as long as you don't want commentary in your stream. If you want commentary, however, there will be a delay of 1.5-2 seconds, which makes a huge difference in what you say versus what people are seeing.

Nicholas