GameSource with Color(Alpha) key

redkwind

Hello there.
I have a very particular request...
I created a very simple application that announces when you get Followers/Donations/Subscribers and due the ammount of people asking me for this feature im here asking for help /advice.

My application is called TwitchAlerts http://www.twitch.tv/subalert and it is a windows app in WPF using C#.
What i want/need is a way to capture that window.
Right now, im asking my users to do a window capture of the program so they can blend the bar using the Color Key, but i ran into a couple of issues:
  • The users had to have at least 2 monitors for the best performance becaus the bar has to be visible on the screen for the window capture to work properly. This is specially anoying for small streamers who just got started and dont have that second monitor.
  • Not sure but it seems that everytime i open my aplication OBS forgets it was capturing it. The users have to setup the window capture every time they start their OBS unless they do a monitor (subregion) capture

So, i wonder if any of the devs or any other OBS guru out here can help me to deliver a better experience for the users.
I think there are a couple of solutions for this:
1.- Port my program into a OBS plugin or something like that.. sadly i have no idea how to do this just yet... i could use any pointers.

2.- I noticed Game capture actually works with my application BUT since it doesnt have a Color Key option there is no way to blend the "green screen" of the bar so its not very intrussive on the screen.

Then again... i would love if there could be a way to use game capture but add a Color Key feature to it so people can just capture the window and blend the background. That would help the people with one monitor (since its captured by the game capture it doesnt have to be visible on screen at all times) and will fix the issue with the obs not saving the window capture properly.

If you have any advice i would like to hear it.
thanks for reading and sorry for the long post.

Krazy

Town drunk
Well, as long as Aero is enabled and the game isn't being played in fullscreen, Window Capture works fine on one monitor, even if it's not always on top. I just tested this myself to confirm. Obviously if you can't play the game in windowed mode for whatever reason this won't work, but single monitor users will be screwed anyway as other windows don't get rendered when something takes exclusive fullscreen control of you monitor.

I might be mistaken, but I believe there are also technical reasons for why Game Capture doesn't have chroma key.