Question / Help Game Audio & Voice chat Recording

duff952

Hi everyone,
I am new to game recording so forgive my lack of knowledge.
I want to record gaming videos while playing with my friends on Cod Warzone. The problem is I want to record game audio and voice chat separately.
Since I am playing on pc and my friends on ps4 the only option to chat is through the ingame voice chat. Is there any way I could record game audio and voice chat
separately ?

vapeahoy

If voice chat goes thru the same channels, as in on the same track as the game SFX audio, then thats it.
If you have several sound cards, you can opt to use that for recording/communication, and it should travel unto that card if the game respects your operating system settings. But if it doesnt.. You basically are going to have to try and see. Im not familiar with that game, never even heard of it, but if its a modern game it probably should work. This is not however the only solution to chat, you can get discord and use mobile phone for communication or just as a program on your pc. If you're playing with randoms i can see the problem tho.

duff952

If voice chat goes thru the same channels, as in on the same track as the game SFX audio, then thats it.
If you have several sound cards, you can opt to use that for recording/communication, and it should travel unto that card if the game respects your operating system settings. But if it doesnt.. You basically are going to have to try and see. Im not familiar with that game, never even heard of it, but if its a modern game it probably should work. This is not however the only solution to chat, you can get discord and use mobile phone for communication or just as a program on your pc. If you're playing with randoms i can see the problem tho.
Thank you my friend for your time... I will try and see what happens

vapeahoy

You have already, most likely, 2 separate sound cards. From onboard audio, back of computer, and from graphics card. But really, everyone uses discord for voice chat. There's also teamspeak and some other options, but think its fair to say everyone goes to discord for actual voice chat of any serious, or not serious, talk.
I can't recall that i've had this problem as you, but i've used several sound cards for so many years, i cant recall.

I will say one last thing tho, ideally use the same type of sound card. Because of driver reasons. So there's only 1 software driver in use. Removes a lot of potential issues.

Best of luck

koala

As far as I understand the support articles about COD Warzone audio, the PC version is able to output voice chat and game audio to different audio devices, so it's possible to keep them split for OBS to record.

Warzone outputs the game audio to the audio device declared as "standard" device in Windows. The voip audio is output to the audio device declared as "standard communication" device in Windows.
If you have speakers and a headset, you can test this. Set the speakers as standard device and the headset as standard communcations device. Then try your game.
How this work out on your PC depends on your mainboard and headset. If you use a USB headset, you always have 2 distinct audio devices: one for your speakers and one for your headset. Make sure you have speakers connected and declare them as standard, and declare your headset as standard communications device.
If you connect your headset with jacks to your sound card, Speakers and Headset might always output the same. If you have Realtek HD Audio, it is possible to start the Realtek HD Audio Manager and create 2 audio streams for splitting them:

1586704725193.png

1586704929090.png

Every PC is different in this regard, so you have work out most of it yourself.

duff952

As far as I understand the support articles about COD Warzone audio, the PC version is able to output voice chat and game audio to different audio devices, so it's possible to keep them split for OBS to record.

Warzone outputs the game audio to the audio device declared as "standard" device in Windows. The voip audio is output to the audio device declared as "standard communication" device in Windows.
If you have speakers and a headset, you can test this. Set the speakers as standard device and the headset as standard communcations device. Then try your game.
How this work out on your PC depends on your mainboard and headset. If you use a USB headset, you always have 2 distinct audio devices: one for your speakers and one for your headset. Make sure you have speakers connected and declare them as standard, and declare your headset as standard communications device.
If you connect your headset with jacks to your sound card, Speakers and Headset might always output the same. If you have Realtek HD Audio, it is possible to start the Realtek HD Audio Manager and create 2 audio streams for splitting them:

View attachment 53711

View attachment 53712

Every PC is different in this regard, so you have work out most of it yourself.
Thank you very much for your tips... I will try and let you know what works