Bug Report Frame drop while using studio mode

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
This is, unfortunately, a known issue. Jim (the lead OBS dev) has spent a lot of time investigating the issue, and has concluded (for now) that it's either a limitation/bug with Qt on macOS, or some limitation/bug with macOS itself when rendering multiple graphics views in the same window. If it was something that Jim, or any of the active contributors, knew how to fix, it would have been fixed. Unfortunately, software development isn't quite that simple, and solutions aren't always immediately apparent or quickly implemented.

The full details of the issue can be read on Mantis Issue 847. There are a few workarounds mentioned in that issue, like in Comment 3154.

That's the current state of things. If anyone is able to provide any technical insight into the issue, that would be most appreciated.

Narcogen

I was checking to see if there was an update and to provide more information that the frame rate drop issue also occurs if you try to view the statistics while the recording/stream is in progress. This is a issue as we were attempting to troubleshoot playback issues and when we access the statistics panel for more details, it immediately drops the frame rate in half (much like it does when you open the studio mode).

Is that perhaps a separate but related issue? Because I just checked and that does not happen to me. The framerate clearly and noticeably drops in studio mode, but there's zero effect of opening or closing the Stats window.

cjjb86

Resurrecting this.

Hi there, has this been fixed in OBS 23.0.1 for mac? I'm currently running OBS on yosemite to work round this which isn't ideal as up to date software for 10.10 is hard to come by.

Thanks

Narcogen

I think possibly it has? I am testing now on High Sierra with v23 and am not seeing this drop in Studio Mode any longer.