Bug Report Frame drop while using studio mode

benonkoebsch

Hey folks,

Any idea why I'm loads of frame drops when using studio mode on my Retina iMac?

The moment I switch out of studio mode it's a solid 30fps, but back in studio mode and it ranges from 17fps up to 26fps?

Here's an example of it happening: https://youtu.be/S5yaECDzkzM

And the specs of my iMac:
Screen Shot 2018-04-23 at 10.37.48 pm.png

Narcogen

I believe I read that work was being done to mitigate it. It has something to do with having both preview and program panes in the same window-- the slowdown doesn't occur when using the Multiview window even though it has live previews of all your sources, not just one. If Multiview could be made to work with separate preview/program functions instead of like a hotswitcher, that would eliminate this issue for me.

Narcogen

Yeah I think the only scenario that studio mode is currently usable in on MacOS is using a static slide as coverage while you adjust another scene.

benonkoebsch

Thanks Alan. Hypothetically speaking, what PC would you recommend (if literally all I would buy it for is to run OBS to stream from) - I'm a Mac guy so the entire PC world is foreign to me so spell everything out for me if you have the time :) Cheers!

Narcogen

Boot Camp would also give you access to the Windows version of OBS. The Linux version also does not suffer from the studio mode frame rate drop issue.

Narcogen

Since when has Microsoft not charged for Windows? The only time you ever get it free is when you buy a new PC with it installed... and even then you are paying for it, it's just included in the price.

That said, you can download Windows 10 and install it without a code. It will nag you for activation but as far as I can tell the only real downside is that you lose access to some visual customizations of the interface.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

benonkoebsch

Sorry man, I'm a Mac guy since 2004. I've never owned a PC so I never knew this.

On a similar note, do we have any indication that the OBS team a working on the frame drop issue in Studio mode on a Mac for the next release? I only ask as I cannot start streaming until November anyway (waiting on internet connection) so I will hold off going down the BootCamp route IF we know they are working on it?

Narcogen

I believe it is being worked on, but it's been an issue for a good amount of time and it seems to me there are more users and more focus on the Windows version of the app. I would not be surprised if the issue persisted longer than this coming November. It could just as easily be fixed before then but I would not be entirely surprised if it was not.

benonkoebsch

Wow, thats really sad to hear. It's a show stopper considering the Studio mode is one of the most essential components to enabling a interactive professional looking stream. I'll hold off for a while tho. Very frustrating!!

Alan McFerrin

I'll try to check in more frequently. I usually peruse through each Sunday to see what's new. IIRC the problem was how OSX implemented some new handlers in High Sierra/Sierra. In regards to a PC, depending on what you're streaming the most important thing to look for is a graphics card. I have a NVidia 1050 in my desktop PC and it does very well when I use OBS for PC which honestly isn't very often. Shoot for an I5 processor and 8 gigs of RAM. I do use OBS for Mac in our weekly church services to live stream and create a local file. I'm streaming from an iMac 2012, it's marginal. I've had to learn Mac and when it comes to drivers and compatibility, Apple has been frustrating. I think there was a thread about the issue.

Narcogen

Pretty sure this predates Sierra; was present in El Capitan and Yosemite. Will check if I get a chance.

benonkoebsch

Thanks Alan.

I just hope that they can resolve this issue as I have everything all set to go (just waiting on the internet connection) and this frame drop in studio mode is pretty frustrating :(

I really don't want to have to purchase a PC only for streaming use when I have a MacBook Pro and an iMac already...

jacobse

I was checking to see if there was an update and to provide more information that the frame rate drop issue also occurs if you try to view the statistics while the recording/stream is in progress. This is a issue as we were attempting to troubleshoot playback issues and when we access the statistics panel for more details, it immediately drops the frame rate in half (much like it does when you open the studio mode).

Any update would be greatly appreciated as this occurred both on my imac that is a decent machine and also on a mac pro with 12 cores and 64GB memory that our event team was streaming with.

Thanks,
Ed

Edward Jacobs
Manager, Instructional Technology Support
Metropolitan State University of Denver