Question / Help Frame Drop only on the stream

ApdoTroy

Hello, I'll try to explain my issue as clear as possible :

- First here is my setup : http://textup.fr/193474KV and my connection : https://static-cdn.jtvnw.net/jtv_user_pictures/panel-35044616-image-eaad3be8050a4f6b-320-320.jpeg

- I tried these configurations in OBS Studio :
-> 720p 30 fps / 720p 60fps / 1080p 60 fps with my CPU in fast / veryfast (high and main tested aswell)
-> I have almost 0 frame drops from my connection
-> When I checked my log I have so many drops due to the CPU apparently (like 70% drop). But my CPU is used at 40-50% maximum when streaming

=> Plus, the weird thing is : when I'm in the menu of CS:GO or Overwatch for example, on twitch it's like super fluid, real 60 fps, no freeze/drop, but whenever I get into the game, it's like I have 5 fps on the stream, but still have 60 fps on my side in my games.

- Finally, I tried streaming on twitch with Shadowplay from NVIDIA, I've putted 720p and 60 fps and it's working perfectly, so I wonder where does the issue is really coming from ?

- I asked on another forum, some ppl are saying that I need to change my CPU, others that my setup should be fine and maybe it's my windows who's bugged. Btw I always update my drivers once per month (Driver Booster software) and use Ccleaner in an often way. I bought this setup 3 years ago, and 2 years ago I had no trouble streaming CS:GO and League of Legends.

Hope I'll find the right answer here. Thank your for helping me.
I'll be able to put a log of a test stream around 8:00 pm GMT+1.

Regards,
Troy :)

jds4578

hi,

looking at your set up, your using i5-3470k 4 physical/4 logical processor, any other cpu with 6/8/12 logical processors, would be better for pc game streaming. Plus, you want to,. consider a better GPU too, possibly a 900 series, as they will be running cheap, now the 1000 series have arrived.

Also 8 gb ram, could possibly be the other bottleneck, 16gb ram is better, to cope with what you want to do.

wessla

Try giving OBS higher priority. I have a problem that OBS wont take enough resources unless i highten its priority.

ApdoTroy

@jds4578 Hey, thank you for informations. I want to be sure it's really a material issue before paying 400-500 € (because CPU, motherboard, DDR4, ya know...)

@wessla So I did those modifications : OBS in higher priority, changed the server from Paris to Frankfurt. And god bless it's working. So I don't know which one of the modification is the good one but that's great thank you.

Btw, in my log there was this line 19:06:37.806: Output 'adv_stream': Number of dropped frames due to insufficient bandwidth/connection stalls: 560 (11.4%)
As I said in my first post, I have the optic fiber so that was a bit questionabl e that's why I change the server.
Now let's see if the stream will work like that in the next days...

Edit : Would you recommand me to replace my Processor/Motherboard/RAM first or my GC ?

wessla

Well since the game lags when u play it and you use x264 i assume that it is your processor that have problem handing encoding and gameplay at the same time. But since it started working better when u gave OBS more priority (wich is what i think made a difference) id say you get a better processor so you can crank up the encoder settings even further... If that is what you are after.

OBS will do this on games that are taxing on the CPU, and these newer versions seem to let the game have the resources when not elevated in priority.

I have an i5 4670k and sometimes i do get the stream to work really fluidly, im not sure why it is that it dont work good all the time, its like some nasty bug in the system. couple of days ago i was doing 720p 6000kbps MEDIUM encoder settings, lanczos and some other elevated settings, and got a totaly fluid environment, both my game and stream...

But then later, i get a choppy one on 2000kbps and very fast encoder setting..... ? :P

Last edited:

ApdoTroy

@wessla Well, I'll try to wait for a good deal on dealabs.com for a package with a processor/motherboard/ram. If I can make it out under 400 €, it would be great.

Indeed, that would explain perfectly why my game was fluid but not OBS...

So yeah you actually reassure me about that sometimes with the same settings we can't get the same results...

Yesterday I streamed about 2 or 3 hours and my stream was working till the end correctly. The only thing is in my game this time, I got some drops like 60 fps to 40 fps. Maybe I should consider putting lower encoder settings (but I think with the setting ultrafast and main, that will result with a terrible quality on stream).

Thank you for your answer again.

Edit : For example there is this deal : Kit Evo Intel core i7-6700k + Motherboard MSI Z170A Gaming M3 at 349.99€. Is it worth ?

Last edited:

wessla

Try to play with the settings. I have a similar processor (i5 4670k) and i OCed it to 4200mhz. I have problem getting a fluid stream, i can basically never have 60fps with any settings without getting my game to chop up. If i want to play, say Overwatch i have to use 720p with 3500kbps and 30 fps. That way its pretty stable, but in the heat of battle it do clog up my computer sometimes.

Tho sometimes i do make 5000kbps with 60fps playable... so i dont really know if its lacking hardware...

But changing between the encoder settings dont really make a huge impact on neither performance or quality on my end, there is difference but not as much as id like.

I guess more threads can make a difference, so getting an i7 could be a good move.

ApdoTroy

It's exactly what happened yesterday for me. I'll run a stream in a couple of minutes, we will see if it's working or not this time xD.

Copy that for the encoder settings.

Well, I'll take a better look at the price of i7.

Last thing, one of my co-worker told me to choose my GC in the PhysX parameter, because it was in auto-selection before... Will see if I get improvements on this side.