Question / Help FPS drop when using Razer Ripsaw

ENunn

Having a weird issue with OBS Studio, latest version. Actually, this is happening with XSplit too strangely.

I'm recording something with my Razer RIpsaw. Its sending the signal at 1080p60 FPS. The preview starts lagging to about maybe 24-30 fps (maybe a bit higher). Don't know what's causing it. I'm looking at my log file and it says this:

15:07:49.357: ==== Recording Start ===============================================
15:07:49.357: [ffmpeg muxer: 'adv_file_output'] Writing file 'G:/OBS/2017-04-09 15-07-49.mp4'...
15:55:02.552: adding 23 milliseconds of audio buffering, total audio buffering is now 116 milliseconds
16:15:35.733: [ffmpeg muxer: 'adv_file_output'] Output of file 'G:/OBS/2017-04-09 15-07-49.mp4' stopped
16:15:35.733: Output 'adv_file_output': stopping
16:15:35.733: Output 'adv_file_output': Total encoded frames: 243976
16:15:35.733: Output 'adv_file_output': Total drawn frames: 243982
16:15:35.733: Output 'adv_file_output': Number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 4 (0.0%)
16:15:35.733: ==== Recording Stop ================================================

Notice the "Number of skipped frames due to encoding lag. It says 4. I don't believe so. I'm 100% sure its skipping more than 4 frames. I'm looking at the recorded output file and it goes from 60 fps for a while, down to a much lower framerate than usual for a little while, and then back to 60. It's not even a constant 60 FPS.

I've attached my full log. Can anyone please help?

Attachments

• 2017-04-09 14-51-20.txt
    12.7 KB · Views: 66

Hanana

I've seen people reporting that Razer's Ripsaw are having issues with a kind of USB 3 specific connectors or something , that cause stutters or was it frame freeze. I'm not too sure anymore , google it up , it might be that issue instead?

ENunn

I've seen people reporting that Razer's Ripsaw are having issues with a kind of USB 3 specific connectors or something , that cause stutters or was it frame freeze. I'm not too sure anymore , google it up , it might be that issue instead?

I have no idea, I don't think so. I have the exact same issue when I use the Elgato Game Capture HD (a usb 2.0 card).

Fenrir

Forum Admin
Does your laptop have USB3.0 ports, and are you sure the capture card is connected to them? From the logs, it doesn't look like it's OBS having issues, but rather the capture card itself.

ENunn

Does your laptop have USB3.0 ports, and are you sure the capture card is connected to them? From the logs, it doesn't look like it's OBS having issues, but rather the capture card itself.

If I didn't have USB 3 ports the capture card wouldn't work at all :P

I only have one USB 3 port though. Like I said earlier, this even happens with my Elgato Game Capture HD for some reason.

Fenrir

Forum Admin
If I didn't have USB 3 ports the capture card wouldn't work at all :P

I only have one USB 3 port though. Like I said earlier, this even happens with my Elgato Game Capture HD for some reason.

Just verifying. Some cards will try and load with reduced capabilities on a UBS2 interface. Very hard to say as the logs don't indicate any issues. Does it do the same thing in their software?

ENunn

Just verifying. Some cards will try and load with reduced capabilities on a UBS2 interface. Very hard to say as the logs don't indicate any issues. Does it do the same thing in their software?

With the Elgato, not all the time. Some (not all) stuff that I record has frame drops if I have it set to automatically output to an MP4 file. Converting the raw .ts file with Handbrake doesn't have that problem.

The Razer Ripsaw, well, I can't even use it at all with Razer Cortex because it doesn't record in its full resolution. It would record in something like 638p despite me setting the record mode to 1080p.

wwenze

Necro-ing an old thread since I have a similar issue with no solutions found yet

My Ripsaw has the same issue. Looks to be software or settings related since it works well at the start (As in, start after restarting Windows or plugging in the USB cable), but let it capture for a while and it starts dropping more and more frames.

I have a H727 PCI-E capture card simultaneously running with OBS doing split screen, so I am 100% sure the dropped frames are not due to the encoder because the H727 has all the frames intact.

Analyzing USB packets at a high level seems to show no packets or bandwidth issue.

Interaction is different with OBS vs VirtualDub. With OBS, the frame is duplicated. With VirtualDub, the frame is skipped. At this point my conclusion is that Ripsaw is dropping frames for no good reason.

ENunn

Necro-ing an old thread since I have a similar issue with no solutions found yet

My Ripsaw has the same issue. Looks to be software or settings related since it works well at the start (As in, start after restarting Windows or plugging in the USB cable), but let it capture for a while and it starts dropping more and more frames.

I have a H727 PCI-E capture card simultaneously running with OBS doing split screen, so I am 100% sure the dropped frames are not due to the encoder because the H727 has all the frames intact.

Analyzing USB packets at a high level seems to show no packets or bandwidth issue.

Interaction is different with OBS vs VirtualDub. With OBS, the frame is duplicated. With VirtualDub, the frame is skipped. At this point my conclusion is that Ripsaw is dropping frames for no good reason.

I've had the exact same issue with pretty much every capture card I've had. Almost a year and a half later and I am still nowhere. The framerate still dips to 30 for a few seconds then goes to 60 for a while then dips back down to 30 and does it over and over and over. It's annoying. I have eventually gotten myself an HD60s and I've still had this same exact issue and I am stumped. The Elgato software is perfectly fine. I don't know what to do.