Forums Moved to XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warchamp7

Forum Admin
I also do not like the change. It reminds me of the Windows 8 UI, which is ugly as sin.

I pretty much agree with what FerretBomb said entirely. Also feels really squished. Is there less horizontal space for posts than the old forum? It feels like it. I'd really appreciate a variable width version (especially on my new 21:9 monitor).

https://obsproject.com/forum/account/preferences

Also, the dark theme could really use some work; there's a bunch of non-dark (white) things all over the place which is quite jarring and makes it uncomfortable to look at. Color contrast isn't great either, some parts need to be darker with others lighter and I feel there should be more separation in certain page elements.

Dark theme still WIP

koala

If you switch from the rich text editor to the raw editor, you don't have any toolbar to insert bbcode templates into your article. I'm missing them, too.

DAOWAce

Thanks, helps a bunch but it seems just be a bit of a wider boost, not actually dynamic width (though honestly, having a dynamic width forum on a 21:9 monitor isn't exactly that great to look at, so it's fine as is). Compared to the fixed width, I think this should actually be the default fixed width size while the fluid is increased to your browser's width.

Aside from that, I'm eagerly awaiting updates to the dark theme to further improve comfort and readability.

(Don't mean to sound negative or anything, I know what a pain in the ass it is to customize forum themes; I tried, failed and gave up with PHPBB. VB is probably my favorite forum software to use.. but I can't afford that. Too busy now anyway to bother getting back into web design.)

ZerofeniX

I really like it. I like the resource management for all of the plugins and whatnot people are working on.

The icons for BBCode buttons on the dark theme need to be changed because they look horrible and the pagination backgrounds and quote header should be darker but that's just my person preference.

Keirnoth

Boosting the font size up to 16px would be welcomed.

Please please PLEASE do this. Could you also give us some way to change the font color for forum posts to the old black? Light grey + smaller usual font size on a white background = makes the words run together. Dark theme kinda works, but I'd prefer black text on white.

DeezjaVu

It looks like the sidebar is broken. It no longer displays at the side but appears at the bottom of the page.

As for the switch to the new forum, as a developer, I like it a lot. The ability to post/upload updates, etc.. is just awesome.

Boildown

Each post only shows the date and time of the post when moused over now, which is really annoying. And it wasn't like that earlier.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Boildown - I had him do that. Though I didn't necessarily want the quote/reply on the right doing that, just the date and other information that isn't really all that necessary to see all the time.

The reason I had him do that is because it reduces noise factor (that and we couldn't figure out how to move it to a different place yet). There's been multiple things that have been hurting my productivity in reading/responding to posts fast and efficiently so we've been trying things like this to makes things more clean and efficient for the time being.

Personally I'd prefer it separated rather from the actual post's box, but we haven't figured out how to do that yet, and I'm not too experienced with this stuff, so warchamp just made it auto-hide that information to reduce the noise factor from the actual post content.

It's a minor detail but I'd ask you to bare with it.

Warchamp is amazing. He's done a ton for the sake of OBS. He made the website, he's promoted OBS left and right, made videos, guides, does support, tested it probably more than anyone else (since the 0.31 days in fact). Know that he has nothing but the absolute utmost best intentions with this, he wants nothing more than to see OBS succeed.

He loves this forum software, and from an administrator's point of view the admin tools are indeed nice and surprisingly powerful, but on the actual presentation and user-side of things I have to be perfectly honest (and note that this is subjective): I just don't really like it. Phpbb may not have been perfect but it was really clean, fast, efficient, and super simple, and best part was that it was [insert crazy richard stallman statement here]. It was nothing fancy, just simple and straightforward layouts. No sliding panes, no super fancy layouts, text-based reply boxes instead of rich-text reply boxes.. it was just clean straightforward presentation that made it really fast and efficient for me to be able to do my work and help users, and for users to browse the forums. So it's somewhat of a disagreement there, but no matter what he has nothing but the best intentions.

Overall it's mostly just minor nitpickings, the forum is still fully functional and he dramatically improved the layout and such, he's done everything I've asked to improve it, and they are much cleaner than they were when it first started.

KamelJabber

Sweet!

I think I may be late to the party but we also built a site and decided on XenForo and we are VERY happy with it.

Keep up the good work OBS :D

FerretBomb

Hmm. Seems we've lost/removed avatars entirely now, along with any indication of threads we've previously replied to which now have new activity. Is this oversight, or by design?

Warchamp7

Forum Admin
Avatar visibility is an option now in your preferences. I'm not sure about the latter, shouldn't have gone anywhere

Edit: Fixed the latter

Last edited:

FerretBomb

Almost had to ask where to find it, seems avatars are defaulted to 'off' now. Took a good bit of looking to find. Have to wonder if this will de-facto disable avatars for the forums entirely (for those of us lacking a spiffy baked-in CSS avatar background on our posts), with new users not likely to even think to go looking for the option.

Still, the update/fix to show replied-to threads is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
The little indicator that shows which threads I already replied to is admittedly nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.