Forums Moved to XenForo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warchamp7

Forum Admin
Welcome to the new forums! We've upgraded to XenForo.

Moving forward, this is going to allow us a lot more freedom and control of the forums, as well as better organization and features.

One of the major changes is the new Resources functionality. This will be used now for Guides, Plugins, Tools and Scripts, in a much more intuitive and organized way. Existing creators, please submit your resources to the new system and then PM me if you would like the old posts merged into the new thread.

Old 'resources' have been moved to an archive forum, which will eventually be locked but still visible. We ask and recommend all users to move their resources to the new system as soon as possible.

Cheers!

Last edited:

xiuide

awesome update. one question though. I tried to submit a resource (a guide) and while I can see it in the resources "latest updates" tab, it does not show up as a thread topic in the actual forum itself. am I doing something wrong, do they need to be validated, or is it just broke?

Warchamp7

Forum Admin
awesome update. one question though. I tried to submit a resource (a guide) and while I can see it in the resources "latest updates" tab, it does not show up as a thread topic in the actual forum itself. am I doing something wrong, do they need to be validated, or is it just broke?

Ah, had a small error and the Guides resources weren't set to create threads. If you resubmit now it'll be good.

Boildown

A few problems... the BBCode editor doesn't have any shortcuts for adding the codes, at all. The rich text editor doesn't have a shortcut for quoting. I can't set my default font or font size. I hate having to click a block of quoted text to see the entire quote. I think the default font is ugly and the default font size is too large. And there's plenty of other design things that I'll chalk up to the forums being still under construction.

Granted, I never like changes to various forums, they always seem like they make things worse than the original. The previous forums were good, didn't see any need for a change. My PS2 outfit did the same thing and I hate their new forums, these aren't quite as bad, but not exactly good either.

FerretBomb

Ugh. Large (ugly) fonts, and TONS of useless puff-space and padding everywhere, on every element of the site. Know I can't be the only person who prefers data DENSITY, not spreading everything out all over the damn place and raising the font size like a double-spaced high school paper by someone with too little to say, but a page count requirement to be met.
Similar, no demarcation between post and sig means that it gets blurred together; I already expect people to not understand the difference and ask why I type out my link and specs at the bottom of every post.

You can safely say that I'm already not a fan of the new look.

Last edited:

Shooter90

I kind of like this. Kind of slow for my internet connection, but it's worth it.

I think the share buttons should be closer to the header rather than on the bottom of the page.

On the main forum page, would be nice to see the colour coordination there as well (Blue for Admin, green for moderators etc.)

Default white is kind of an eyesore though, design isn't a problem since text is legible.

Can't wait for the final result.

FerretBomb

You sir need to relax. Things aren't final yet and can always be tweaked when they are
I'm already quite relaxed. I just felt like making it absolutely clear how overwhelmingly negatively I feel about the new theme, with no room for confusion, and while also listing specific reasons and problems. Feedback tends to be overly couched behind the phrase 'Strongly Dislike', and I'm no fan of pulling punches.

If you'd rather not get explicit user feedback, locking the announcement might be a good idea.
Or adding a line 'please only say good/positive things about this change'.

(edit: Sig separator re-added between then and now it would appear, a positive change. No idea if it was planned but not implemented, overlooked and reminded due to that feedback, or what. Would prefer a solid line, but the return of demarcation is the important part, and good on you.
Likewise with the apparent default font change. I also like the removal of the box-outlines on the left, though the Joined/Location/etc is a bit disorganized without the bounding boxes to show what goes with what.)

Last edited:

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Warchamp has always been an amazing guy. When I first started OBS, he said "here, I made you a website", to which I responded with big wide anime-style teary eyes, "a-are you serious? You just.. made this website.. f-for me?" to which he responded "Yep, here you go." ..I was dumbfounded. Actually, the entire community has been like that, which is why I love working on OBS so much. Warchamp's been supporting the project since the very beginning behind the scenes, always there when you need him for something. His loyalty for OBS is sometimes probably even a bit over the top.

He also manages the forums over at http://smashboards.com/ -- and works his butt of supporting both projects. He came to me and said "hey, you know I use this software on the smash boards, I just really like using this forum software, it's a lot nicer and has a lot of features I really wish we could have." For a few months I sort of just ignored it, but he really wanted to switch quite badly and wouldn't let it go.

Of course, one of the main issues I personally have with it is that it's somewhat frivolous for me personally, I just see it as "whatever, it's just forum software." That, and not free software. Now, let me state for the record that I'm not some die-hard richard stallmanite super ultra free-software-only-or-bust sort of guy (let's face it, we all use non-free software in the form of games all the time so who are we kidding), but still, I personally vastly prefer supporting good free software when possible. And I mean you guys too, otherwise you wouldn't be here. However, warchamp means a lot to me, so for all the stuff he's done for me, I did this one thing for him, granted him this *one* boon. It's the least I could do for him.

Now earlier today when he initially rolled it out it was in kind of a.. not-so-good shape, and I still sort of feel really uncomfortable with it because it's changed my workflow, but he seems to be getting it back to its former state (or I'll slap him silly), so give him a few days to fix it up back similarly to the way it was, and cut him some slack.

Oh and one important thing, just for the record, we paid for this out of our *own* pockets, because to be quite frank, it's too much of a luxury. He did casually make the suggestions that maybe we could perhaps ask users over twitter or something, but no, there's zero chance that I would have allowed that.

Thanks for the software and website chaps, looking good.
However, one thing; and i'm not even sure if it's a bug or something on my side but the forums don't keep me logged in. Even tho i have checked the tickbox. I use google chrome.
(Even when i have logged in and open a 2nd tab, i again have to logon to that tab)
Cheers.

DAOWAce

I also do not like the change. It reminds me of the Windows 8 UI, which is ugly as sin.

I pretty much agree with what FerretBomb said entirely. Also feels really squished. Is there less horizontal space for posts than the old forum? It feels like it. I'd really appreciate a variable width version (especially on my new 21:9 monitor).

It just.. doesn't fit in. When I view the forum page it looks like it's loading some external site in the page; nothing like the original site or forum theme at all.

Added functionality over PHPBB is great, but meh..

Also, the dark theme could really use some work; there's a bunch of non-dark (white) things all over the place which is quite jarring and makes it uncomfortable to look at. Color contrast isn't great either, some parts need to be darker with others lighter and I feel there should be more separation in certain page elements.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.