Force device settings

DanSyor

Hi everyone,

I have a webcam (Logitech C930e) which kinda resets some part of its settings every time it recovers from standby, which is quite a pain. When previously set in the same OBS instance, it seems I only have to re-set exposure to what I want, but it is still annoying.
Is it possible to provide some way to force configuration settings to apply to a device? A per-scene configuration would be great, but I fear that cause some weird behaviors. Or maybe some list of profiles/configurations. I feel like I'm requesting something manufacturers should provide with their products from start (but maybe most people don't have to tweak their webcam settings every time they want to use it; I have 2 main uses for it: capturing my face but also Wii U GamePad screen, until some kind of wifi sniffing can be used to get its video stream under Windows)...

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Forgive me, but what specifically do you mean when you say that it 'resets some part of its settings'? Standby? I'm unfamiliar with webcams having standby. Perhaps I'm confused? Or is this a new feature that they recently added? I have the C920 myself which is a previous generation model, and I don't recall ever seeing any sort of standby thing.

That being said, there are some issues with directshow in the current version of OBS where settings can on occasion not function correctly (if you mean the settings you configure when you press the 'configure' button in source settings). Are you sure it's not that? (We should have that fixed in the rewrite however, when I get around to that code.)

DanSyor

Maybe I used the term 'standby' inappropriately. By this I meant when it is 'turned off': LEDs are off, it is not used by any application, so it does strictly nothing and so does not get hot (it gets normally hot, not too hot!, when on use, just saying by touching). It is turned off when not on use.
Just launched an OBS instance to test, exposure is reset to -5 once I test the preview window. I bet all settings are reset to default at every boot of Windows. But maybe I typed too fast and 'only' exposure is reset when put on 'new' use (but does not get set on automatic, which is its default), but that's at least my feelings for having it for the past four months.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Ah, yea. If these are the settings that are in the 'configure' button, then this may partially be OBS' fault in this case for the current version of OBS. It's somewhat of a difficult situation to deal with but we will eventually get it fixed.