Question / Help Fixing Audio

AtelierLivi

Hi,
This might have been dumb for me but when I started up obs I click no for allowing OBS access to my Mac's audio is there any way to fix it

Narcogen

Okay... if the problem is that you answered "no" to the dialog asking for mic permissions, try this:

Open Terminal and type:

open -a obs

Was it asking for your microphone, or for each audio device?

Do all sound devices not work, or just some of them?

Do they appear in the Mixer pane? Do they respond to audio input? Is the problem that they are not output to the stream, or that you cannot hear them?

AtelierLivi

Okay... if the problem is that you answered "no" to the dialog asking for mic permissions, try this:

Open Terminal and type:

open -a obs

Was it asking for your microphone, or for each audio device?

Do all sound devices not work, or just some of them?

Do they appear in the Mixer pane? Do they respond to audio input? Is the problem that they are not output to the stream, or that you cannot hear them?

Just Audio device and all sound device don't work they don't respond to any audio input

Narcogen

Try opening from the command line this way:

sudo open -a obs

If the problem is permissions, this should solve it.

If not there may be another issue.

Narcogen

If you have them set already in Settings > Audio, then no.

If you prefer, you can set all devices there to disabled and then add Audio Output sources to your scene.

If you have the sources configured, and the meters do not move, then it may still be a permissions issue.

If the meters move, but you don't hear anything on recordings or streams, then check what devices are assigned to tracks in Edit > Advanced Audio Properties, and then in your Output settings, check which track(s) you are recording or streaming.

AtelierLivi

If you have them set already in Settings > Audio, then no.

If you prefer, you can set all devices there to disabled and then add Audio Output sources to your scene.

If you have the sources configured, and the meters do not move, then it may still be a permissions issue.

If the meters move, but you don't hear anything on recordings or streams, then check what devices are assigned to tracks in Edit > Advanced Audio Properties, and then in your Output settings, check which track(s) you are recording or streaming.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 12.48.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 12.48.33 PM.png
    671.3 KB · Views: 15

Narcogen

You have two sources. One input, one output.

Input should be a hardware input device, like a microphone. But you've added it as a source and not named it, so I can't tell what it is supposed to be.

From logfile:

01:02:06.008: coreaudio: device 'Soundflower (2ch)' initialized
01:02:06.011: coreaudio: device 'Built-in Microphone' initialized
01:02:06.212: coreaudio: device 'iShowU Audio Capture' initialized

It looks like you have both iShowU and Soundflower installed. Which one are you attempting to use?

What is set as your Mac's default audio output device in the Sound panel of System Preferences?

Can you answer the other questions in the previous post as well?

I can see that your two sources are set to Monitor and Output, which means they should go to both your streams/recordings and to your monitoring device (so you can hear what you're putting through OBS, this is helpful for external devices).

However your monitoring device is the system default, which would cause echo. You should probably choose another device in Settings > Audio if you wish to use this feature.

01:02:05.657: Audio monitoring device:
01:02:05.657: name: Default
01:02:05.657: id: default

AtelierLivi

You have two sources. One input, one output.

Input should be a hardware input device, like a microphone. But you've added it as a source and not named it, so I can't tell what it is supposed to be.

From logfile:

01:02:06.008: coreaudio: device 'Soundflower (2ch)' initialized
01:02:06.011: coreaudio: device 'Built-in Microphone' initialized
01:02:06.212: coreaudio: device 'iShowU Audio Capture' initialized

It looks like you have both iShowU and Soundflower installed. Which one are you attempting to use?

What is set as your Mac's default audio output device in the Sound panel of System Preferences?

Can you answer the other questions in the previous post as well?

I can see that your two sources are set to Monitor and Output, which means they should go to both your streams/recordings and to your monitoring device (so you can hear what you're putting through OBS, this is helpful for external devices).

However your monitoring device is the system default, which would cause echo. You should probably choose another device in Settings > Audio if you wish to use this feature.

01:02:05.657: Audio monitoring device:
01:02:05.657: name: Default
01:02:05.657: id: default

iShowU

Narcogen

OK.

In System Preferences, go to the Sound panel and select iShowU as your output device.

In OBS, make sure that iShowU is selected as a sound source. You can either do this in Settings > Audio, or you can leave devices there disabled, and add an Audio Output Source in your scene, and select iShowU as the device.

Plug in a headset or headphones into your machine.

In Settings > Audio, under Advanced, go to the Monitor section and select your headphone output from the list.

In Edit > Advanced Audio Properties, make sure that your audio sources are set to Monitor and Output.

Now open an application that produces audio, like iTunes or QuickTime player and play something.

If you've followed all these steps, OBS should be able to receive the sound, the meters in the Mixer window should display this, and you should be able to hear that audio through your headphones.

If all those steps are followed and the mixer does not display audio input, then the problem may be permissions, and you can try resolving it by:

opening OBS in terminal as mentioned above;

creating another user account on your computer and running OBS, and then giving OBS permission to access audio devices when it asks.