Fit Canvas to Scene/Source

Henpemaz

Hi!

I use OBS whenever I need to get a somewhat longer footage of a game, for short footage I tend to use another lossless capture software.

The thing is, it's pretty annoying to have to go through the setting every time to set up the resolution for different window sizes.

It should be a very basic feature, to be able to fit your resolution to what you're trying to record...

I hope I'm posting this on the correct section of the forum, I'm absolutely new here...
Thanks in advance :3

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
We had a button that was exactly this feature for quite some time in the classic OBS as far as I remember. I think in the window capture source. The problem was just that it confused many users and they used it in scenarios that made no sense which changed their OBS resolution to strange values.
In the end it was removed as its a normally less used feature. Most people tend to use maybe 2 different resolutions which are normally even the aspect ratio (16:9). Of course there are more use cases but the number of caused problems by this simple button was very high.

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
Do you really run your games at that many different resolutions? I agree that bringing back window capture's "set base resolution" option from OBS1 would be nice, but couldn't this problem be solved at least temporarily by setting up a few different profiles/scene collections?

diabelos

So, the scenario I have run into is wanting to match the Canvas size to the Source when the Source is a Window. As of right now, the only way I seem to be able to output only the information from the Window source is by resetting the Canvas size to the same size as the Window source...this is truly annoying. It would be nice if there was an option in either the Scene (probably most appropriate) or the Source that would specify that the output should be the source size. To further clarify, the Base resolution (canvas size) is set to 1920x1080. When I setup a Windows a source, and crop out the various sides, I'm left with a source resolution below the canvas size (lets's say its 1024x768). If I record this scene without adjusting the Canvas size, the output is in 1920x1080 with a Window of size 1024x768 embedded in it. This is not what I want, I want a nice clean 1024x768 output of just the Window information. Hope that helps, would be a nifty feature.