Question / Help Final output video has massive frame lag

Bob Gamache

So, I've been trying to record some game videos and things just arent going right. I've tried the "BEST" settings for local recording from at least 5 different places and none of them have worked. At the moment I am trying to record GTA5. While playing it's smooth as silk, running over 70FPS, but the actual captured video is so choppy and stuttering, it's unwatchable. Here is my log file...

https://gist.github.com/55fb6dfc4beb55c845001bc6195177eb

I would think I have enough performance to record something. Another strange part is I can record Diablo 3 without any issues at all. In fact I was recording Diablo with my old video card which was an old HD 7770 with only 1GB of VRAM. Now I have this brand new GTX 1060 6GB. I had tried to record GTA with the old card and it never worked, so I assumed it was the old card not being up to task.

I noticed some modules failing to load in the previous logs, so I uninstalled OBS and reinstalled it, but I see those modules are still missing. Could that be part of the issue?

BK-Morpheus

07:27:43.369: Output 'adv_file_output': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 6120 (49.6%)
07:27:43.369: ==== Recording Stop ================================================
07:27:43.371: Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 10506/12347 (85.1%)
First: Turn off Windows 10 Game DVR.
Main Problems:
The GPU is at full load and has not enough headroom to render the OBS scene and the CPU is overloaded as well, not catching up with the encoding.

Possible Solutions:
First of all, you need to limit your ingame fps. Activate Vsync in your games, or set an fps limit via config file (if possible in your game) or use Tools like Rivatuner Statistics Server for the FPS limit.
As you already use Ultrafast preset, there is no way your CPU will handle 1080p60fps encoding + Gaming.
Reduce resolution to 720p or framerate to 30fps or both.
For local recordings I would switch to NVENC instead of x264. This will reduce CPU load and with a quality factor of ~19 you will get variable bitrate with good quality.
With NVENC you might be able to record in 1080p60fps, as long as the GPU load is not hitting >90% all the time.