Question / Help Filthy Youtube Gamer requires assistance

Matt Tolman

I'm having a few problems with recording videos across multiple platforms. Will be breaking up the issues into different sections, feel free to address whatever you're confident you can answer.

1. OBS recording on PC has video lag: I'm sure this problem has already been addressed but I've tried hunting for answers and changing settings and it didn't work and I don't really have the time to screw around like that. The problem is for recording demanding games like pubg or overwatch causes my FPS in the video to drop to like 0.3 if I'm lucky, things like XCOM 2 work fine. Let me know if you have any suggestions just based on this or if you need my OBS recording settings or hardware specifics in order to help, you'll need to let me know because I don't really have any idea what I'm doing.

2. Input audio is very low: I'm using a blue snowball Ice mic, on everything outside of OBS is comes out fine but when recording voice directly on to OBS it comes out barely audible. I've increased my input volume through the program by like 700% but I feel like there has to be a better way. I haven't been able to mess with the mic's input settings in my PC's audio driver because it doesn't really give me the option, friend of mine recommended a virtual audio cable but I don't really know how to use it.

3. PS4 recorded videos have playback and editing issues when transferred to PC: The next couple of issues will be unrelated to OBS but I'd still appreciate assistance, suggestions, or direction. I was exclusively gaming, recording, and editing on my PS4 but, while sharefactory is pretty good for a free editing program its definitely got alot of room for improvement. Also I built my PC and am finally part of the master race. The problem I'm running into is many of the videos I've recorded using PS4's share button (which basically just saves the last 1-60 minutes of gameplay depending on your settings, I save 30 minute videos) don't fully load when transferred to my PC. During video play back there will be a point where the video will just stop and can't progress any further; When put into my video editor I find that at the same point, the audio for the remainder of the recording just doesn't exist. This issue typically only occurs with longer videos and a simple (yet time consuming) solution is to split the video into smaller videos before exporting, I've also heard the suggestion of uploading the video from PS4, redownloading on to PC, and working from there; Neither of these are effective long term solutions. For convenience I was considering just buying an Elgato capture card but I'm open to other suggestions.

4. Video editor is meh: On PC I've recently downloaded Adobe Premiere Elements 15 (because it was on sale) and it's good, can edit more quickly than using sharefactory on PS4, but it still isn't the most user friendly. The problems with it that I can think of right now is a more streamlined way to add text to video, and it doesn't have the ability to add text to motion tracking (I thought it did at first but turns out it's only text on an obnoxious speech bubble graphic that the program provides) if anyone can suggest a decent video editor that can perform the following tasks it would be greatly appreciated:
  • Split, trim, and move clips
  • PIP
  • Speeding up and slowing down video
  • zooming and panning
  • still frame
  • recording commentary
  • basic video filters
  • adding text to video (option to have preset settings for added text so I don't need to change font from default every time)
  • adding text with motion tracking
  • basic clip transitioning (cross fade, fade through color, swipes etc.)
5. General requirements and summary (pls read before responding): In general I don't mind spending money to solve these problems, however I'd like to spend as little as possible and of course convenience is also important, I don't want to have to work through multiple programs and 3rd parties to accomplish simple tasks. As mentioned in section 3, I was planning on buying an elgato capture card (unless someone has a better Idea) and I've heard it also comes with some video editing software. So if the elgato can record on both ps4 and PC, can perform all of the tasks I'm looking for in video editing, can record multiple audio tracks (optional), and doesn't require me to go through multiple other programs, that would be ideal. However I don't know a whole lot about what functions the thing provides and how it works.

So basically I'm looking to minimize the amount of programs I use in the recording and editing process, as well as time spent transferring video files between programs and systems. I'm also looking to spend as little money as possible, with a priority of staying away from high cost subscriptions. Thanks for any help you can provide and if you need hardware and software specifics about what I'm currently using, I can provide those later today.

Dawson June

I can only answer your first question, really. I do have a question, though: Are your resolution and graphics quality settings way up? And what video card do you have?

Matt Tolman

I have a gtx 1080, and i probably do have it turned up relatively high but i wont be able to check specifics til i get back from work. What settings to you recommend for what the graphics card can handle?

Dawson June

Well, to put it into perspective, I have a GTX 1080 Ti. I had the same issue, but someone told me it was probably because the card couldn't handle it. What resolution are you playing at?

Matt Tolman

Finally back, I'm playing at 1920x1080 (i think?) whatever the highest available setting is at 60 fps, graphics are on ultra, for pubg i was told right away to put the game on medium instead, I'm iffy about doing that for overwatch. Never actually tried recording for overwatch but just now recorded some stuff in the training room and it was just fine, no lag. Of course that's with no other people there.