Question / Help ffmpeg version questions

Curious if those of you who do NOT run the ubuntu ppa and the jon-severinsson ppa use a recent version of ffmpeg? I see that it's around version 2.4 but the jon-severinsson ppa only has version 1.2 for ubuntu 14.04. i'm considering updating my ffmpeg because kdenlive can use a newer ffmpeg so i'm wondering if obs-studio can use this same newer ffmpeg version that i'm about to install.

i'm currently trying to understand how difficult it's going to be to remove libav and replace it with ffmpeg because i do want to stick with xubuntu 14.04.

those of you running fedora or arch, what version of ffmpeg and
libavcodec-dev
libavformat-dev libswscale-dev libx264-dev libswresample-dev
libfdk-aac-dev libxinerama-dev libxcomposite-dev libxrandr-dev

are you using?

I don't have that answer. Maybe check on their forums?
how do you not have the answer if that's what you said you use? did obs-studio work for you or not when you compiled ffmpeg using that guide you linked? technically it shouldn't because it's my understanding is that it creates ffmpeg in your home folder and obs-studio won't be looking there for all the shared libraries like libavcodec, libavsample, libavrescale, etc etc

admalledd

For making the compile find the right (new/different location) libraries and include files you modify some environment variables:

PATH
LD_LIBRARY_PATH
CMAKE_INCLUDE_PATH
CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH

For an example, my now far out-dated compiling helper script (from before there was a PPA, just after the switch to qt5) builds mostly independently of system packages. In fact you could move each of the apt-get installs it provides to the building script it has...

https://gist.github.com/admalledd/22096af58ee1eaa301d7

Again that script is outdated and probably broken now, but should give a great starting point if you want to compile away from system installed packages.

Kranium31

how do you not have the answer if that's what you said you use? did obs-studio work for you or not when you compiled ffmpeg using that guide you linked? technically it shouldn't because it's my understanding is that it creates ffmpeg in your home folder and obs-studio won't be looking there for all the shared libraries like libavcodec, libavsample, libavrescale, etc etc

I honestly didn't know I needed to point ffmpeg to be used. From what i understood about FFMPEG there are two versions. The real one and the one that ubuntu installs. I thought by compiling ffmpeg from the online turtorial it would take over. I was wrong i guess.

ZeroLabs

I too am having an issue. Because the PPA server is presently down, I'm trying to compile the portable version on Xubuntu 14.04 and get...

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:108 (message):
Could NOT find FFMpeg (missing: FFMPEG_AVFORMAT_LIBRARIES
FFMPEG_AVFORMAT_INCLUDE_DIRS avformat avutil swscale swresample)

The Jon Severinsson PPA and ffmpeg are both most definitely installed. Installing OBS from the PPA works fine. Compiling does not. How do I tell the installer that I have ffmpeg?

ZeroLabs

Tried it. Still no joy.

CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:108 (message):
Call Stack (most recent call first):
/usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:315 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
cmake/Modules/FindFFMpeg.cmake:135 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
libobs/CMakeLists.txt:5 (find_package)

Tried it. Still no joy.

Call Stack (most recent call first):
/usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/FindPackageHandleStandardArgs.cmake:315 (_FPHSA_FAILURE_MESSAGE)
cmake/Modules/FindFFMpeg.cmake:135 (find_package_handle_standard_args)
libobs/CMakeLists.txt:5 (find_package)

Don't forget to also install the ffmpeg "-dev" packages (like libavformat-dev, etc...), that could solve your problem.

ZeroLabs

No, not obvious because they are not present in the INSTALL file list of dependencies. If they were present in that list, I would have installed them. Something to consider. And that does seem to have been the roadblock. I will report back with my progress. Thanks for your help.

Blackhive

Not sure if that comment was in reference to obs's install file or ffmpeg's...

Just a reminder that the guys working on obs have no logical reasoning in informing or maintaining correct instructions for -compiling- ffmpeg, but rather only information on installing a pre-made .deb for it available via PPA. ffmpeg is seperate software.. you can't really blame the obs guys for not telling you how to compile ffmpeg. ffmpeg-dev has no reason to be in the dependencies because compiling obs doesn't require you to compile ffmpeg from scratch, only to have it already installed, and ffmpeg is also not a direct part of obs, but rather a library used by obs as many other programs do.

ZeroLabs

My comments are completely unrelated to compiling ffmpeg, specific only to compiling OBS. The dependencies listed in the INSTALL file are incomplete. When someone states "Oh, that should be obvious" my answer is still no, it is NOT obvious and it should be corrected. Please do not read anything into my comments that are not there.

FWIW, the compilation went very well once all of the dependencies were met. I do find it somewhat humorous that the version reports as 0.0.1, however. Now THAT'S a little jab. :P LOL!

Osiris

The install(compile) instructions already mention development packages for ffmpeg, x264 and qt5. The instructions just expect you to already know where to get them.

My comments are completely unrelated to compiling ffmpeg, specific only to compiling OBS. The dependencies listed in the INSTALL file are incomplete. When someone states "Oh, that should be obvious" my answer is still no, it is NOT obvious and it should be corrected. Please do not read anything into my comments that are not there.

FWIW, the compilation went very well once all of the dependencies were met. I do find it somewhat humorous that the version reports as 0.0.1, however. Now THAT'S a little jab. :P LOL!
it's amusing to me as well but they've stated that versioning isn't really a concern of theirs. you possibly entered that when you created the .deb (if you created the deb using checkinstall). I'm running version 0.7.2-11

ZeroLabs

Hey, man. I just followed the instructions using copy and paste into a terminal window. I think maybe it's because I built the portable version without checkinstall instead of risking borking my existing install.

So, for Xubuntu 14.04, here is the revised list of prerequisites that was needed to compile...

- Get the required packages:
sudo apt-get install libx11-dev libgl-dev libpulse-dev libxcomposite-dev \
libxinerama-dev libv4l-dev libudev-dev libfreetype6-dev \
libfontconfig-dev qtbase5-dev libqt5x11extras5-dev libx264-dev \
libxcb-xinerama0-dev libxcb-shm0-dev cmake libavformat-dev \
libswscale-dev libswresample-dev​

libavformat-dev also brings with it libavutil-dev and libavcodec-dev. Also worthy of note, after compiling successfully with the Ubuntu 15.04 back ported ffmpeg PPA, I went back and recompiled using the Jon Severinsson ffmpeg PPA. Works just fine.