[Feature request] Webcam Sync

BullHorn7

I've spoken about this with Jim and a few other guys on IRC and it IS possible but regarded as 'not important'. I would like to raise it to a higher priority.

Current situation:
Webcams are widespread and used by many/most streamers. All webcams have a delay ranging from 60ms (Kinect) through 80-100ms (Logitech) all the way to 200ms (rest).
Webcome buffer feature allows you to delay the webcam video even more. Negative delay is not possible because the webcam video is encoded with the desktop video simultaneously and thus the latency is inherent.

Curent methods to 'solve' this:
1) Put a 60-200ms delay on Global Audio, resulting in sync between face and voice, but then game sounds, like firing weapons or attacking enemies etc become slightly out of sync
2) Apply a delay on voice via Mic Time Offset, syncing the face and the voice, but then desktop audio will be out of sync with the voice, so singing or humming along to sounds ingame will be out of sync
3) Use HW capture card with inherent delay

Known method to solve the situation, according to a conversation with Jim:
Separate the encoding of desktop video and webcam video and allow a buffer to be saved in the VRAM, and thus 'traveling into the past' or 'applying a negative delay' will be possible. Not all computers will be able to handle this, obviously, but it should still exist for those who want to try.

I've had troubles with this issue since I started recording/streamin 2 years ago and I keep seeing this mentioned on IRC on a daily basis. jim plz.

Jaxel

There are easy ways to get rid of the lag on most capture cards. The lag comes from the encoding algorithms used to display the video. So to get rid of the lag; tell your webcam to stop re-encoding the video. Doing this is easy...

Just change the output format from RGB24 to MJPG.