[Feature] Game/Window Capture Auto-Select

FerretBomb

Recently I was speaking with another streamer who sets up his game by using a game or window capture as a Global Source, and hiding it behind an on-screen element, allowing him to get into game and then grab the game with a hotkey. This allows the game capture to be maintained between scene changes, and used in multiple scenes (such as a background-inset on an AFK scene) without needing to re-hotkey on each change.

The problem is, some games require window capture, and some need game capture. Meaning turning a layer on and off, and remembering which game needs which capture type.

Would it be possible to have an 'auto-precedence' capture mode, that would try game capture hooking and 'watch' to make sure it hooked correctly or was getting more than a black screen? And if the game hook failed, switch over to a Window Capture instead internally, and try to capture it that way, again watching the source feed to make sure that video is being received?

It would simplify matters greatly to just have a 'Main Game' source that would default to Game mode, but drop to Window mode if the hook didn't work.

As an example, I currently have over 200 game or window sources in my 'main' scene at the moment, most inactive. I leave them there so I don't have to figure out which game needs which capture method, if/when I come back to that game. With the above addition? One source, one hotkey when I get into a game, done. Maybe a quick resize if the window is an odd shape. I'm pretty sure this is one reason there's a large delay when swapping to my main scene... takes OBS a bit to chew through the scene config, even with all of them disabled.