Question / Help Fade audio and video in and out

Vwdriver

We are trying to reduce or cut out any video editing. Is there a way to slowly fade in with a recording/stream? Then also fade out when you are ready to end the video? In other words, I am recording a church service. When I am ready to stop recording, can I fade to black and fade audio down to off so I don't have to add this in post?

Harvey S

Fading video in and out can be done with the ( transition fade ) you will need to fade the audio with the slider in the audio mixer as the scene fades.
Example: to fade to black make a new scene name it fade to black Copy the audio source from the scene that you want to fade to black and paste reference to the new scene now right click on this new scene and select transition override/ fade and put in 3000-4000 ms.
when you are ready to fade to black select the fade to black scene and transition and as the video fades turn down the audio slider.

TioBorracho

There is a better way to make audio fade along with the scene: Instead of uing the audio channels from the computer in the mixer, add a capture source to the scene. When you transition between scenes, the audio capture sources in the scene being removed will fade out.

ControlNode

@TioBorracho Are there any settings to getting that fade in/out for audio captures defined in a scene working? I've got a Background Music (BGM) audio input capture source defined in a (~Audio Sources) scene that I use in a few scenes in the scene collection. But when switching from a scene with an audio source it just remains at normal volume though the transition then just cuts, likewise when going to a scene with an audio source not in the current scene it just cuts in as the transition starts. A fade is clearly more desirable in both leaving or entering a scene when the previous/next scene didn't have that audio source.

ControlNode

Nevermind I found it, the monitor is not fading, but when I record the output it is. Odd that the monitor does not follow the same logic as the output.

rweeden

Yeah this is so annoying that the audio doesn't fade for the user. Although when recording/streaming, the audio does fade.

Please can we have the ability to listen to the exact RECORDING AUDIO OUTPUT, not just a monitoring system that isn't identical to the recording/stream.

This is a longstanding known issue and I for one would send $5 to anyone who fixes it :) Who's with me? :)

Seriously tho, a lot of us are using OBS via a virtual audio redirect for things like Zoom right now, and this is painfully lacking.

daleb

The best solution I've found so far is to install NDI tools and the OBS NDI plugin, then use "Line (NewTek Audio)" as the audio input for Zoom (rather than a virtual audio cable). The NDI audio fades as in and out as expected. The downside is that I've had some A/V sync issues if OBS runs overnight, but a reboot seems to resolve it.

-and-

Although I understand why some might prefer that monitored audio is treated differently, I would like to see an option in OBS to treat the monitored audio like streamed and recorded audio.