Extremely low fps on outputted recording

Axyndey

Hello! I would like to know why my recordings are extremely low fps, like less than 1 fps.

Is my computer just not good enough for this, or are my settings not right?
I used the recommended settings(format MKV,rate control CRF, encoder x264, cpu very fast)
The audio works great, its just the video thats the problem. I've been having this problem ever since I got this laptop so its confusing.
While I'm recording(I tested using Geometry Dash) its pretty smooth, it does sometimes have small lag spikes though.

My laptops specs are:
Processor AMD A9-9425 RADEON R5, 5 COMPUTE CORES 2C+3G 3.10 GHz
Installed RAM 12.0 GB (11.5 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor

On the log files, I recorded a couple times, in case thats helpful.

Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 2021-10-29 18-48-33.txt
    10.6 KB · Views: 350

FerretBomb

18:58:32.068: Output 'adv_file_output': Number of lagged frames due to rendering lag/stalls: 228 (7.5%)
18:58:32.068: ==== Recording Stop ================================================
18:58:37.362: Video stopped, number of skipped frames due to encoding lag: 2413/2544 (94.9%)
Rendering lag normally either means GPU over-loading or a slow source (like a browser source on certain slow sites).
Try running OBS in Administrator Mode; there's a workaround that allows OBS to take top priority for GPU time that might help fix that.

Encoding lag means that your settings are too high for your CPU to handle. You're on Veryfast at the moment and could try going to Ultrafast. You could also try using the AMF hardware encoder. Unfortunately AMD APUs are notoriously weak, as a >90% skip rate would indicate. Realistically AMF is your main hope here.

Your Scene Collection also appears to have an issue. Recommend creating a new Scene Collection from the SC menu at the top of the OBS window. It's possible something may have gone wrong and be causing some performance issues, as you show as having two Monitor Captures (MC is the least-performant capture method and should be avoided), both pointed at the same display which can cause significant issues.

Axyndey

Rendering lag normally either means GPU over-loading or a slow source (like a browser source on certain slow sites).
Try running OBS in Administrator Mode; there's a workaround that allows OBS to take top priority for GPU time that might help fix that.

Encoding lag means that your settings are too high for your CPU to handle. You're on Veryfast at the moment and could try going to Ultrafast. You could also try using the AMF hardware encoder. Unfortunately AMD APUs are notoriously weak, as a >90% skip rate would indicate. Realistically AMF is your main hope here.

Your Scene Collection also appears to have an issue. Recommend creating a new Scene Collection from the SC menu at the top of the OBS window. It's possible something may have gone wrong and be causing some performance issues, as you show as having two Monitor Captures (MC is the least-performant capture method and should be avoided), both pointed at the same display which can cause significant issues.

k, Ill try that! Also if you're saying that it says I have 2 monitors, that's interesting that OBS would say that because I only use 1 monitor.

Axyndey

Ok so I tried everything you said, and it seems a lot better. It lags a bunch at the start of the game, then it starts going and doesnt only do 5 fps lol. It does lag a lot and its not smooth but I was wondering if theres even anything I could do about that as you said AMD isnt the best.

Attachments

• 2021-10-29 20-33-12.txt
    14.4 KB · Views: 72

FerretBomb

Sorry, I misspoke. The log shows you have two monitor captures, both pointed at the same monitor. Which can conflict and cause performance problems. :) A new Scene Collection should make sure that it's really blank, and there isn't a 'hidden' or corrupted source hiding in the background somewhere.

And yep, looks like the system just isn't up to snuff, sorry to say.

Axyndey

Sorry, I misspoke. The log shows you have two monitor captures, both pointed at the same monitor. Which can conflict and cause performance problems. :) A new Scene Collection should make sure that it's really blank, and there isn't a 'hidden' or corrupted source hiding in the background somewhere.

And yep, looks like the system just isn't up to snuff, sorry to say.
Thats ok. Is there anything I could do that might reduce CPU?

DexieTheSheep

Not that relevant but this thread shows up first on Google for "obs low fps" so imma just add that a Video Capture Device will completely destroy your performance even if you turn it off with the eye icon, UNLESS you check the "Deactivate when not showing" checkbox in its properties. Doing that made my scene collection go from ~10FPS back to a perfect 60FPS.