Experimental Brood War Capture Plugin

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Streaming BW has always been a pain due to the full screen color palette, necessitating windowed mode or some ugly hacks to get it working. I wrote a plugin for OBS that captures full screen BW and performs the proper palette conversions. Unfortunately it isn't perfect, for some reason the out of game palettes have incorrect values, but the in-game palettes I tested seemed fine. The cursor will also not be visible in battle.net screens.

Screenshots (Demonstrates some broken palettes):
5GEnM.png

i9OX7.png

sG4YW.png

MEgwE.png

Download
http://www.teamliquid.net/staff/R1CH/BWCapture.zip

Put it in your 32-bit OBS/plugins/ folder, a new source option called Brood War Capture should then become available. Will not work with w-mode, only normal full screen BW.

Note this isn't tested much at all and is very much still proof-of-concept stage, as I only have a single monitor to work with here it was impossible to tell if this was actually working properly. Let me know!

impsy

Hi I don't know if you guys can help at all with this since its not a plugin created by you guys but basically R1CH made a plugin that allowed or us to capture Starcraft: Brood War easily in this thread

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmes ... _id=391120

However several of us in the thread including myself have been having issues, it seems like when we are streaming it freezes on a specific frame at around always the same spot which is 3 minutes and 20 seconds, it looks as if OBS has frozen but it's still streaming because you can still hear the background noise of our gameplay it's just frozen on one frame. If anyone has any insight as to why this could be happening possibly that would be great! It looks like there is almost no other way to stream Brood War in fullscreen and this would an extremely amazing tool if we could just get past the freezing part! Thanks to anyone help in advance!

Quirinus

impsy said:
Hi I don't know if you guys can help at all with this since its not a plugin created by you guys but basically R1CH made a plugin that allowed or us to capture Starcraft: Brood War easily in this thread

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmes ... _id=391120

However several of us in the thread including myself have been having issues, it seems like when we are streaming it freezes on a specific frame at around always the same spot which is 3 minutes and 20 seconds, it looks as if OBS has frozen but it's still streaming because you can still hear the background noise of our gameplay it's just frozen on one frame. If anyone has any insight as to why this could be happening possibly that would be great! It looks like there is almost no other way to stream Brood War in fullscreen and this would an extremely amazing tool if we could just get past the freezing part! Thanks to anyone help in advance!

This happened to me yesterday, but with software capture inner window (window mode Brood War). Might be just an OBS thing, I don't know, I'll do more testing.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Shouldn't be an OBS thing, as I've never actually heard of that happening before, sounds very strange. I currently don't have brood war anymore but I'll probably try to get it to take a look or something.

cvax

Hi guys,

This plugin doesn't seem to load anymore since OBS no longer has that 32bit plugin folder anymore. Or am I doing someting wrong? Thanks.

cvax

I see. Curious R1CH, is this something you were still going to be working on or is it pretty much an abandoned project now? Thanks.

FerretBomb

I've just been using Chaoslauncher to get a scaled-up windowed-mode version during my playthrough, and a screen-region capture from there. Seems to work well, with no freezing evident.

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Unfortunately I don't have the source for this since I made it while on vacation. It's very trivial to replicate though, despite its bugs.