Exclusive Source Visibility

bdsound

I searched but I couldn't find an existing thread for this. The idea would be to have a collection of sources where only one single source can be visible at a time. Let's say there's a collection of sources A, B, C, D, E... and currently "A" is visible. The 'exclusivity" feature would ensure that all the other sources in the collection are not visible. If the user makes "D" visible, then "A" is instantly invisible.

This need arises when trying to create some abstract form of "Global Layers". Currently, using scenes as a source it's possible to create a scene source that acts like a 'layer' to be included in all other scenes (a somewhat tedious work-around). But let's say you have 30 different media overlays / animations that could play in that "layer" and only one of them should be visible at a time. if you try to create a macro sequence in streamdeck, or some other application, to accomplish this, then first the macro needs to turn off the visibility of all 30 sources and then turn on the single source you want to be visible, that way you can make several macro buttons that can be pressed to show only a single source in a scene for example. However, this creates serious latency issues as you wait for the macro sequence to complete running. You could make one duplicate of the scene and have the macro do the 31 actions in the background, finally transitioning to the copy that is now setup the way you want, but you'd still have latency waiting for all the macros to complete. The other solution would be to create 30 versions of the same scene, but with the one unique source you'd like visible. That solves the latency, but it is a nightmare to manage 30 versions of the same scene, especially when you plan on having 8 different major scenes (8 'major' scenes x 30 'versions' of each 'major' scene = at least 240 scenes to manage).

Maybe the sources could be in a special container with exclusivity, or maybe there's a way to tag a sources as belonging to a collection with exclusivity? I would not suggest making it a feature of a group, because it would also be useful if groups could be exclusive of each other in a collection. That way I could instantly switch between any combination of sources if I know a groups visibility can be exclusive among a collection of groups.