Error installing version 31.0

TITO WHISKY

I have a PC with an Intel Core i7K3900 processor, Nvidia GT-710 graphics card, and 16GB of RAM, with all drivers updated to the latest version. Until 15 days ago, I was using version 27.1.3 because none of the later versions up to 30.0.2 worked for me with the NVIDIA H.264 (new) encoder. I installed 30.0.2 and had no problems, but when installing the new version 31.0, I get a message when starting the stream saying "Failed to open NVENC codec. Function not implemented. Try installing the latest NVIDIA driver." You can see the log at https://obsproject.com/logs/rR5eeB9dtB3JfykB. In version 27.1.3 and 30.1.2 (before installing 31.0), only these decoders appeared: "NVIDIA H.264 New" and "X.264". Now in version 31.1, "AOM AV1", "NVIDIA NVENC H.264", "NVIDIA NVENC HEVC", "SVT-AV1", and "X.264" appear. I tried reinstalling 30.0.2, but now I get the same error as with 31.0 and it shows the same expanded list of decoders. But if I reinstall 27.1.3, everything works correctly and only shows NVIDIA H.264 new and X.264. Please tell me how I can at least get 30.1.2 to work again? Or how do I disable the option or function that is not enabled, because I don't see any new configuration options in the settings, as had happened in previous versions where I disabled them and was able to use version 27.1.3. Thank you."

rockbottom

The GT-710 doesn't normally support encoding. I've heard stories of some unicorns that were built on a chipset that included the encoder but never saw one in action.

Anyway, it never worked with any version 30. Your drivers are too old.
16:12:22.935: error: Driver does not support the required nvenc API version. Required: 12.0 Found: 11.1
16:12:22.935: error: The minimum required Nvidia driver for nvenc is 522.25 or newer

If you had traction with 27.1.3, rollback to it.

smcdave

I'm struggling to find information and advice on which encoder to pick. The OBS wizard says use Nvidia NVENC H.264 (I have a Quadro K4100M 4GB card), but that doesn't work for recording or streaming. I have the same situation as the OP with the 'Failed to open nvenc codec. Function not implemented' message. Again it suggest getting a newer driver but there isn't one. It was last updated in Sept 2021.

The weird thing is that NVENC used to work, i can't remember which version of OBS that was on as I run it on two machines (the other has a K3100M card). I can't believe i'd have to go back to version 27 as there's been a lot of decent features added since then (such as youtube dock & chat dock etc)

I only stream at 720p - to Zoom and YouTube, I haven't found a performance or quality difference using 30 or 60 fps so stick with 30. I use a Dell M6700 workstation with quadcore i7 (3740QM) cpu for broadcast and a separate machine to put powerpoint and videos down NDI into the M6700.

koala

a Quadro K4100M 4GB card), but that doesn't work for recording or streaming. I have the same situation as the OP with the 'Failed to open nvenc codec. Function not implemented'
This card is Kepler based and its nvenc is not supported any more by newer versions of OBS. It's simply too old.

smcdave

I'm struggling to find information and advice on which encoder to pick. The OBS wizard says use Nvidia NVENC H.264 (I have a Quadro K4100M 4GB card), but that doesn't work for recording or streaming. I have the same situation as the OP with the 'Failed to open nvenc codec. Function not implemented' message. Again it suggest getting a newer driver but there isn't one. It was last updated in Sept 2021.

The weird thing is that NVENC used to work, i can't remember which version of OBS that was on as I run it on two machines (the other has a K3100M card). I can't believe i'd have to go back to version 27 as there's been a lot of decent features added since then (such as youtube dock & chat dock etc)

I only stream at 720p - to Zoom and YouTube, I haven't found a performance or quality difference using 30 or 60 fps so stick with 30. I use a Dell M6700 workstation with quadcore i7 (3740QM) cpu for broadcast and a separate machine to put powerpoint and videos down NDI into the M6700.
addition, never mind all the nvenc stuff. I just selected AOM-AV1 and it works great. Hooray!

rockbottom

Just an FYI, the SVT-AV1 encoder is the production encoder & the better option for real time encoding. AOM is the reference encoder & is much slower, better to use in post.

smcdave

Just an FYI, the SVT-AV1 encoder is the production encoder & the better option for real time encoding. AOM is the reference encoder & is much slower, better to use in post.
Thank you. It's information like this that I was expecting to easily find on a search of 'what encoder should i use / does what /' etc etc!