EOS Webcam Utility Camera Freezes in OBS when Zoom is started

wanqiang79

I have installed the latest OBS and Canon EOS Webcam Utility software on my M1 chip MacBook Pro running macOS 12.6.1. The camera (EOS M6 Mark II) connection works flawless until Zoom is started. The camera feed in OBS will freeze immediately when Zoom starts to use OBS Virtual Camera. The camera will unfreeze after Zoom is shutdown for a few seconds. This seems to be an OBS specific issue, since ManyCam with identical environment works perfectly with the same camera.
Does anyone have a solution or workaround?

Many Thanks!

Q. Wan

microadam

I have exactly the same issue. Anyone got any solutions? Using latest OBS and latest EOS Webcam Utility Pro (2.0)

microadam

Just to follow up, mine doesn't freeze indefinitely, it will un freeze after 20 to 30 seconds, but then freeze again a few seconds later

AKretsche

I've got the same behaviour here.
Camera input working fine until some other tool accesses the virtual OBS cam, then the image freezes for some time repeatedly.
Not happening with the internal Mac cam.
  • MacOS v13.0.1 (M1)
  • OBS v28.1.2
  • Canon 70 D - Firmware 1.1.3

microadam

I have discovered a work around of sorts. If you install "SplitCam" then you can add your EOS webcam to that, start its virtual camera driver and then use that within OBS. Working well for me so far!

Jetse

Thanks @microadam This worked for me. For everyone else, I upgraded to OBS 29 and Updated the EOS utility to 3.16.1.3 and neither of those worked. Snapcam for the win! Make sure you reboot your Mac after you install to get the feed into OBS.

Jetse

Has anyone tried to see if update 29.0.2 fixes the issue? I'm hesitant because mine is working at the moment and I can't afford any downtime, but it does introduce 4 seconds of audio delay when recording.

wlwood3

Thanks, microdam--that solved my problem! For those similarly frustrated, the order is:
--Start up the EOS Webcam Utility app and create a scene with your Canon camera image
--Start up Splitcam and create a scene with EOS Webam Utility as the source
--Start up OBS and create a scene with SplitCam Virtual Camera as the source
--Click the button in OBS to start the virtual camera
--Start up Zoom and in the video settings, choose OBS Virtual Camera as the Camera
--No freezes!