Question / Help Encoding Overload Error

RedKnight777

Hey guys and gals!
So in all honesty, I am simply at a lost here on what I'm doing wrong. I should note that I do not get an encoding overload error for every game I record with OBS, it seems that games that are made from something like Unity that I download from sites like Itch.io and even recently Steam do not work. (This also happens with other games that I find on other sites, it's usually 3D games that seem to cooperate the least). It honestly just seems weird to me, some games record without a hitch, and others are just a pain to. I know some of y'all would probably say: "Well then don't record those games," but there's been numerous games that won't work so it's fairly crucial that I figure what's wrong with it. My laptop is more than able to handle these games though as I have an I7-7700hq and GTX 1070, and I've even noticed that my CPU never came anywhere near close to 100% capacity when the encoding error popped up. I've tried almost everything I can think of to fix it: lowering stuff on OBS, removing OBS completely, updating it because I realized I was using the old version and nothing seems to be helping much. I should also note that around the 10 min mark most of the games start to freeze for some reason and the encoding overload error happens. Usually it's so unplayable that I just stop recording. This has happened numerous instances and I am so confused at this point as to what's wrong and I've had to get rid of entire recording just because of this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 2018-09-17 21-33-59.txt
    9.2 KB · Views: 25

koala

If it happens that after some minutes you get increasingly problems with performance, it may be that your machine overheats. If it overheats, CPU and GPU are throttled, and this results in lags and encoding overload. Overheating is a somewhat common problem with laptop machines.
How to detect: install some temperature monitoring program, for example CoreTemp.
If you're experiencing overheating, verify that all your fans are running. Remove dust. Make sure the air vents are free and the laptop is on a plain surface.

RedKnight777

If it happens that after some minutes you get increasingly problems with performance, it may be that your machine overheats. If it overheats, CPU and GPU are throttled, and this results in lags and encoding overload. Overheating is a somewhat common problem with laptop machines.
How to detect: install some temperature monitoring program, for example CoreTemp.
If you're experiencing overheating, verify that all your fans are running. Remove dust. Make sure the air vents are free and the laptop is on a plain surface.
You know what, I actually checked my laptop too right after I made this post and thought it could've been a heating issue too. I blew into it and I did notice some dust coming out, so that is probably my culprit here. I've never I guess "professionally" got the dust out of my laptop, so it probably has just been adding up as I've only ever blown into the vents to get the dust out. I'll definitely try to clean out my laptop then and test it out afterwards. Thank you sm btw for the helpful response! It's funny how I was literally trying everything else, when all along it was probably just something simple like cleaning the dust out of my laptop lol.

RedKnight777

Hey there dude! Sorry my laptop charger broke, (go figure) so I wasn't able to do this until now. I noticed my cores were getting really hot, like way too hot for comfort when I used CoreTemp. I cleaned our my vents, which had a ton of dust, and even undervolted my cpu a bit just to be on the safe side. I was going to repaste as a last resort, but so far this has made my laptop substantially better! Just wanted to tell you thank you; I can't believe that I missed something so obvious lol.