Enable CUDA encoding on GPU's

Videophile

Elgato
Is this do-able?

Since Nvidia loves CUDA, and many big video software companies enable and use it, my thought is:

Can it be used to help with encoding the OBS stream, and take some load off of the CPU? Does CUDA do live encoding?

Would love your thoughts on this,

Phil

Grue

dodgepong said:
I assume you're talking about NVENC? (Thread on NVENC here: http://obsproject.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5036)
No cuda is like opencl for amd. Nvenc uses a dedicated chip for encoding and cuda uses the gpu for encoding.
But to be honest you need a strong graphics card like gtx 680, 780 or titan with lots of cuda cores to make this viable since it uses the gpu for encoding and modern games use 100% gpu on cheap cards like mine gtx 650 :))
But unlike nvenc, cuda it's compatible with gtx 400, 500, 600, 700 series. Btw bandicam made a plugin to record with cuda.

I'd say it's pretty unlikely,for 2 major reasons:
A: it uses GPU power, and you're typically going to be using all your GPU for gaming
b: IT'S PROPRIETARY. it only works with nvidia cards, and it would be difficult to hook in with nvidia, without paying a boatload of cash. besides, nvidia uses opencl too, amd just does it better....

merl

commissar0617 said:
A: it uses GPU power, and you're typically going to be using all your GPU for gaming
b: IT'S PROPRIETARY. it only works with nvidia cards, and it would be difficult to hook in with nvidia, without paying a boatload of cash. besides, nvidia uses opencl too, amd just does it better....

In general I'd hope people keep in mind that OBS is "open broadcaster software", not just "open broadcaster software for gamers to stream their games"... there are a lot of us that would love to be able to use OBS (current version and especially the rewrite) for actual broadcast scenarios where we're bringing in lots of cams, and doing other cool "broadcast" things with them - instant replays, etc etc... i'm all about leveraging that GPU wherever possible, since I'm not running any games.

merl said:
commissar0617 said:

In general I'd hope people keep in mind that OBS is "open broadcaster software", not just "open broadcaster software for gamers to stream their games"... there are a lot of us that would love to be able to use OBS (current version and especially the rewrite) for actual broadcast scenarios where we're bringing in lots of cams, and doing other cool "broadcast" things with them - instant replays, etc etc... i'm all about leveraging that GPU wherever possible, since I'm not running any games.
true, but it's still proprietary. I think we'll see openCL sooner, as A: it's open-source, so it's easier to implement. and B: it works on a TON of hardware, including both nVidia and AMD gpus, as well as modern CPUs.
now, that's not to say that CUDA won't happen, but it's not gonna be for a while, i'd expect.