Question / Help Elgato HD60s freeze in OBS

Hi there everyone,

So I've been having a weird thing happening with my capture card in OBS recently. Every so often the game will freeze for like 1-2 seconds and then continue like nothing has happened, obviously this isn't great for recordings or streams. So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Here are a couple of links to clips of what I'm talking about, from a recent recording
Clip 1 - https://youtu.be/V1FsDZfxCKU
Clip 2 - https://youtu.be/_yO-XPGn-_U

Here is the log file for you as well. https://obsproject.com/logs/nRC8auDqPBc4YMFV

Hopefully it is a simple fix :(

thank you for any help

--TheeDrewGamer

Last edited:

Narcogen

No output session in log. To get performance data you need to start an output session, observe your issue, close the output session, and then upload the current log without quitting OBS.

15:34:22.100: [DShow Device: 'Video Capture Device 2'] settings updated:
15:34:22.100: video device: Game Capture HD60 S (Video) (#01)
15:34:22.100: video path: \\?\usb#vid_0fd9&pid_005e#0615484940#{65e8773d-8f56-11d0-a3b9-00a0c9223196}\{6f814be9-9af6-43cf-9249-c0340100021f}
15:34:22.100: resolution: 1920x1080
15:34:22.100: fps: 60.00 (interval: 166666)
15:34:22.100: format: YV12
15:34:22.109: using video device audio: no
15:34:22.109: separate audio filter
15:34:22.109: sample rate: 0
15:34:22.109: channels: 0
15:34:22.109: audio type: WaveOut <<<<<< THIS RIGHT HERE >>>>>>
I believe it might be the Audio Output option Wave Out that is causing the freezing, since I have seen it on my captures when changing to that option... but of course its just my assumption from my own experiences using the Elgato HD60S.

If it is that the issue well continue on here... Anyways for most Capture Devices you do not need change in Properties: Audio Output Mode, leave that in the default: Capture Audio Input. However here is a TIP if while streaming you feel the audio is not in sync with the video here is the mini quick fix: Go there in Audio Output Mode, change this to any option wait 2 seconds and place it back to its default... that will Resync both audio/video for video capture devices like the elgato hd60/s or avermedia c985.

Now how do you hear the audio of the capture card through your PC? Easy go to Audio Mixer right-click(or cogwheel) any audio source > Advanced Audio Properties
Then on the audio of the Capture Card, change: Monitor Off > Monitor and Output
"Monitor Off" its only heard in the stream, "Monitor Only (mute output)" will only be heard in what you have set as Monitoring device in OBS Settings > Audio > Advanced > Monitoring Device (like headset or speakers) however this means the audio will not go into the stream, "Monitor and Output" its heard on both your *Monitoring Device and its also heard in the stream.

Last edited:
I believe it might be the Audio Output option Wave Out that is causing the freezing, since I have seen it on my captures when changing to that option... but of course its just my assumption from my own experiences using the Elgato HD60S.

If it is that the issue well continue on here... Anyways for most Capture Devices you do not need change in Properties: Audio Output Mode, leave that in the default: Capture Audio Input. However here is a TIP if while streaming you feel the audio is not in sync with the video here is the mini quick fix: Go there in Audio Output Mode, change this to any option wait 2 seconds and place it back to its default... that will Resync both audio/video for video capture devices like the elgato hd60/s or avermedia c985.

Now how do you hear the audio of the capture card through your PC? Easy go to Audio Mixer right-click(or cogwheel) any audio source > Advanced Audio Properties
Then on the audio of the Capture Card, change: Monitor Off > Monitor and Output
"Monitor Off" its only heard in the stream, "Monitor Only (mute output)" will only be heard in what you have set as Monitoring device in OBS Settings > Audio > Advanced > Monitoring Device (like headset or speakers) however this means the audio will not go into the stream, "Monitor and Output" its heard on both your *Monitoring Device and its also heard in the stream.

Hey there Sendblink,

I'm not sure, because my audio setup has always been the same and I've never experienced this. I wouldn't imagine the audio would stop the game for a second, but I could be wrong? This is however the only way my game capture audio will work, at the time I tried so many settings with it. I also use VoiceMeeter Banana, so cutting the monitor audio is no issue. I just turn it off.

Edit: I tried it and it's still doing it.

Last edited:

Narcogen

OK, some suggestions for future troubleshooting. This log just ends with recording stopping, so that's causing it, although it may be external to OBS itself.

Switch to 720p30, and record to mkv or flv to not lose recording footage, and see if with those settings, OBS still hangs/crashes when you stop recording.

OK, some suggestions for future troubleshooting. This log just ends with recording stopping, so that's causing it, although it may be external to OBS itself.

Switch to 720p30, and record to mkv or flv to not lose recording footage, and see if with those settings, OBS still hangs/crashes when you stop recording.

I stopped the recording, because I did enough for the recording until i got the error to appear. I figured out the issue today. It was a usb 3.0 issue. In my hub, I had my mic, elgato and webcam all in it and the elgato wasn't getting enough power. So i moved the mic and webcam, and it hasn't done it since.