Question / Help Elgato Game Capture HD - Quality in OBS vs Elgato Software

SilverSennin

I've tried basically everything but my quality on Elgato game capture just seems way better than it looks on OBS - looks blurry / pixelated when moving round quick and looks more like 480p

I've set everything to 1920x1080 (In Elgato Game capture & in OBS)
Added the Source as a video capture display
Changed the HDMI cables around going to and from console / Elgato / monitor
all the output options on the xbox are set to 1080p too.

I'm going to be streaming AND recording and I've gone through multiple setup videos to find the best options in OBS but still can't get a decent enough quality when it shows.

Any ideas?

Log : https://obsproject.com/logs/WNFHLgnfEuDlY5Zr

Narcogen

No output session in log.

Open OBS. Start an output session (streaming or recording). Observe your issue. Stop the output session. Upload the Current log without quitting OBS.

SilverSennin

No output session in log.

Open OBS. Start an output session (streaming or recording). Observe your issue. Stop the output session. Upload the Current log without quitting OBS.

Done - https://obsproject.com/logs/FExQJ0Hn7Krz618y

I recorded some test footage using both the Game capture HD software and then OBS and as you can see from the screenshots attached, the Elgato software just looks so much clearer

Attachments

• Elgato.jpg
    Elgato.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 1,173
  • OBS.jpg
    OBS.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 1,171

Narcogen

You're scaling when you don't need to.

15:51:00.975: base resolution: 2560x1440
15:51:00.975: output resolution: 1920x1080

You've set OBS to a base resolution of 1440p. But you've put into that your Elgato as a source at 1080p. So OBS is scaling the Elgato source up to 1440p.

Then you've set your output resolution to 1080p. So after scaling up from 1080p to 1440p, you're then telling OBS to scale back down to 1080p.

Set your canvas and output resolution to 1080p and test that.

Narcogen

Then the difference here is 30Mbps recording with Elgato, and the 5000Kbps you're recording in OBS.

16:30:11.507: [NVENC encoder: 'recording_h264'] settings:
16:30:11.507: rate_control: CBR
16:30:11.507: bitrate: 5000

Set OBS to simple output mode, indistinguishable quality, large file size.

CBR rate control is for streaming, not recording. If you have to use advanced output mode, set NVENC to CQP rate control and use a quality setting between 14 (very good) and 23 (pretty good).

SilverSennin

Attachments

• Elgato.jpg
    Elgato.jpg
    524 KB · Views: 495
  • OBS Advanced CQP 23.jpg
    OBS Advanced CQP 23.jpg
    400 KB · Views: 499
  • OBS Simple - Large file size.jpg
    OBS Simple - Large file size.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 489

NaBrZHunter

I'm having this issue as well. No matter how many tutorials I follow, or different configurations I try, the only manageable streaming or recording OBS can handle is markedly worse than Elgato GC. I have completely given up on using OBS for anything but recording Discord calls at this point.

On top of that, the best output I can get when using OBS is with software encoding. Using my graphics card is virtually hopeless; meanwhile, Elgato uses the graphics card, recording at "best" quality (perfect 1080p) with no signs of stress on the GPU (under 40% utilization). What gives?

Specs:
Ryzen 5 2600
MSi x470 Gaming Pro Carbon
AMD RX570 Sapphire GPU
Elgato HD60 Pro
16 GB RAM