Editing a file after OBS wouldn't stop recording?

Xzoltan

I just recorded a video, and at the end of it, OBS wouldn't stop recording. It's the first time I've tried it, and I had to "End Task" through Window Task manager.

I have the entire video, everything is recorded, and I can play it no problem at all. However, I need to edit it, before I upload it. I use Shotcut, and Shotcut can play the video just fine. But as soon as I want to actually edit the video, the program freezes and I have no other option but to end the program as well.

I don't know any of the technical stuff that recording and editing software does. I'm kind of assuming that given the fact that that OBS didn't get to finish properly, it didn't add some information to the file, that programs like Shotcut needs.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? I could upload the video just in raw footage, but I'd rather not.

Xzoltan

I'd still like to know if there's any way to use the .MKV file I originally recorded, but for now, I've used OBS to remux the file into .MP4, which I can then use just fine in Shotcut.

Tweakfiend

I'd still like to know if there's any way to use the .MKV file I originally recorded, but for now, I've used OBS to remux the file into .MP4, which I can then use just fine in Shotcut.
Hi
he default video format for output is "MKV" but you can save to "MP4"

Xzoltan

Hi
he default video format for output is "MKV" but you can save to "MP4"
Yes, thank you. That wasn't my question though. I originally recorded it in an MKV file, but because OBS didn't stop recording, and had to be shotdown through Task Manager, I don't think it the recording correctly, thus my editing software can't edit it for somereason. But using OBS to remux the MKV file into MP4, seemed to make it usable in Shotcut, my editing software. I was just wondering if there was a way to somehow repair the original MKV file, in case this happens again in the future, instead of remuxing it to MP4.

koala

Remuxing is the process of taking the encoded video frames of the original file and write them to a new file, optionally with a different file format/ envelope. Mkv is a file format, mp4 is a file format as well. Usually it's used to convert from one file format to a different one if an editing software is supporting one format but not the other.

The byproduct of writing all data to a new file is to check and ensure integrity. The remuxer reads all frames it can read from the original file and writes them to a proper new file, taking the old data and writing a new envelope. If the original file is damaged, for example if it is truncated (not finalized) as in your case, the remuxer is reading up to the interruption, then finishing the new file and finalize it properly. Because of this, remuxing is also used for repairing files.

It may have not occurred to you, but you can remux from mkv to mkv. Just edit the extension in the OBS dialog. This actually repairs a damaged mkv file, as long as just the envelope is damaged but not the encoded content within. You don't need to remux to mp4, you can also remux from mkv to mkv if you just want to ensure the integrity of the file. However, the process will always write a new file. The original damaged file is never touched, neither by OBS nor by other remuxing/repairing software to avoid the situation to damage a damaged file even more and get a completely broken file.

Blackink

It may have not occurred to you, but you can remux from mkv to mkv. Just edit the extension in the OBS dialog. This actually repairs a damaged mkv file, as long as just the envelope is damaged but not the encoded content within. You don't need to remux to mp4, you can also remux from mkv to mkv if you just want to ensure the integrity of the file. However, the process will always write a new file. The original damaged file is never touched, neither by OBS nor by other remuxing/repairing software to avoid the situation to damage a damaged file even more and get a completely broken file.

Very good info to know about. Thanks for that explanation.

Xzoltan

Remuxing is the process of taking the encoded video frames of the original file and write them to a new file, optionally with a different file format/ envelope. Mkv is a file format, mp4 is a file format as well. Usually it's used to convert from one file format to a different one if an editing software is supporting one format but not the other.

The byproduct of writing all data to a new file is to check and ensure integrity. The remuxer reads all frames it can read from the original file and writes them to a proper new file, taking the old data and writing a new envelope. If the original file is damaged, for example if it is truncated (not finalized) as in your case, the remuxer is reading up to the interruption, then finishing the new file and finalize it properly. Because of this, remuxing is also used for repairing files.

Thanks a bunch for the very detailed reply. It answered my question very well.

I did not know that I can just remux from mkv to mkv. It seemed to have fixed the issue perfectly. Shotcut was able to read the new file just fine. Thanks again, and have a great day!