Dual Stream Issues

OneStepLayered

Hi,

I've been attempting to use NDI to dual stream but my GPU hits 100% usage on the main/gaming PC, also experiencing some choppy streams and poor quality through this too.

The method I've been using is the NDI plugin for OBS Studio for both PCs.

Specs:

Main/Gaming PC:
Ryzen
RTX 2080 Super
16GB RAM

Stream PC:
i7 4770k
GTX 970
16GB RAM

Settings I've tried are both Nvenc 6000 bitrate and x264 at 6000 bitrate (I've read bitrate doesn't matter here?).
1920x1080 base res to 1280x720, 60fps off the Main/Gaming PC
Stream PC base and output at 1280x720, 60fps, x264, 6000 bitrate, faster.
Both wired via Ethernet.
Tried disabling preview on Main PC OBS.
Tried with Gsync on and off.
OBS running as Admin on both PCs.

For games, I've tried Monster Hunter World, been getting 100-120 fps at 40% GPU usage without streaming, when I have the stream going it goes to 100% usage. Main PC CPU usage seems normal, not hitting anything out the ordinary, and the stream PC is unbothered, no loss in frames, or stutter on that end, the issues just the Main PC. I've also tried Watch Dogs 2, same issue occurs. Much less demanding games seem fine such as Slay the Spire.

I feel like I have the specs to be able to accomplish a dual stream with no issues. If there's any other details I can give, more than happy to give!

Kind regards

Log file from Main PC: https://obsproject.com/logs/XoPZyR28rKp6HQtq
Log file from Stream PC: https://obsproject.com/logs/ymya9AfVs_AgCUfn

OneStepLayered

It won't let me edit the main post, but here's a test stream, no chopiness after doing another fresh install of GPU drivers, and some Output settings tweaked. On the Stream PC, I've changed the CPU preset to medium and profile to main to try and increase the quality, but to no avail. Again, with these specs I feel like we should be seeing much better quality streams then what I'm currently getting.

qhobbes

Main PC
1. Audio buffering hit the maximum value. This is an indicator of very high system load, will affect stream latency, and may even cause individual audio sources to stop working. Keep an eye on CPU usage especially, and close background programs if needed. Restart OBS to reset buffering.
2. The version of Windows you are running has a limitation which causes performance issues in hardware accelerated applications (such as games) if multiple monitors with different refresh rates are present. Your system's monitors have 2 different refresh rates, so you are affected by this limitation.

To fix this issue, we recommend updating to the Windows 10 May 2020 Update. Follow these instructions if you're not sure how to update.
3. Display and Game Capture Sources interfere with each other. Never put them in the same scene.
4. Multiple Game Capture sources are usually not needed, and can sometimes interfere with each other. You can use the same Game Capture for all your games! If you change games often, try out the hotkey mode, which lets you press a key to select your active game. If you play games in fullscreen, use 'Capture any fullscreen application' mode.
4. Having the YUV Color range set to "Full" will cause playback issues in certain browsers and on various video platforms. Shadows, highlights and color will look off. In OBS, go to "Settings -> Advanced" and set "YUV Color Range" back to "Partial".

Stream PC
1. Multiple Game Capture sources are usually not needed, and can sometimes interfere with each other. You can use the same Game Capture for all your games! If you change games often, try out the hotkey mode, which lets you press a key to select your active game. If you play games in fullscreen, use 'Capture any fullscreen application' mode.
2. A slower x264 preset than 'veryfast' is in use. It is recommended to leave this value on veryfast, as there are significant diminishing returns to setting it lower. It can also result in very poor gaming performance on the system if you're not using a 2 PC setup.

Try the following with NVENC:
CBR 6000
Keyframes and Bframes 2
Preset Quality
Profile High
Look-ahead unchecked
Psycho Visual Tuning checked

OneStepLayered

I've made the changes you've outlined, still getting a fuzzy looking stream.

I'm waiting on a more stable Windows update before I make the plunge, but surely that alone can't make the stream look nicer?

qhobbes

If you don't want to update your Windows then:
A. Set all your monitors to the same refresh rate
B. Disconnect monitors that don't match your main monitors refresh rate.

OneStepLayered

I've updated Windows before my stream last night, looking back at the vod now, still getting the same quality. Nothing's changed sadly

OneStepLayered

Tried to play The Avengers Beta, and before even streaming my GPU usage is hitting 99/100%, and this is with all the settings set to low. Along with this, my webcam becomes incredibly choppy, so it seems nothing has changed, even with all the above suggestions. I close OBS on the Gaming PC however, GPU usage cuts down to 50% (game still open).

I didn't start the stream (Other than having the NDI output on, on the gaming PC), and even with it off the same issues occured. Stream PC seems to have no issues on it's side in terms of missing frames etc.

Just to reiterate that I've done what you've posted above:
  • I've updated Windows to the May 2020 update,
  • Using only one game capture source now,
  • Colour range changed to suggested value,
  • You suggested to use a different preset on the Stream PC, but then said it can provide poor gaming performance if I'm not using a 2 PC setup, but this whole thread is about using a 2 PC setup? So I'm not sure what's going on there with that suggestion, and I've already detailed how the Stream PC is perfectly fine with no issues, and it still is as all the missing frames and massive GPU usage is on the Gaming PC's end
  • I've changed the NVENC settings you've provided also.
Appreciate the help/suggestions thus far, is there anything or anyone that could help with this issue?