Question / Help Dual PC Pixelated with 9900k and Gigabit Internet

GrandSpartan

I just recently built a new encoding PC. 9900k, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra Motherboard, 64 gigs of 2666 ram, GTX 1070, and an Avermedia Live Gamer 4k Capture card. I was using an 8700k, 32 gigs of 3333 ram,GTX 1080ti, Elgato HD60 Capture card, which is now my gaming PC minus the capture card installed. OBS is still installed on the gaming PC, so I used the old OBS settings exactly as they were on the new PC. I have been streaming on Youtube using these settings on the 8700k for around a year now with no issues. The 9900k capture PC projects a very pixelated and almost unwatchable stream. I have run multiple benchmarks which show that everything is performing as expected or above expectations. All drivers are up to date including the latest Bios. I have also run packed loss tests, called my ISP to make sure everything shows good on their end ( Download 900+/upload 900+), and tried every possible configuration I could think of for OBS settings. I even installed the old Elgato HD60 and ran some test streams with it only to end up with the same pixelated results. The Elgato capture software actually produced better less pixelated results when using it to test stream yesterday, but lacks the ability to tweak various settings and implement StreamLabs. I actually hired someone this past Friday on the site Fiverr to help me troubleshoot, but yielded no positive results. I would appreciate any feedback, advice, or even paid help that anyone could offer. Thank you in advance. Here is the most recent log. https://obsproject.com/logs/c4K6oJf7dvwgiZsy

GrandSpartan

Following up on the post above. Last night I threw the 1080ti into the 9900k and was able to successfully stream using a single pc, which is the one in question. Obviously this is unacceptable as I can never achieve the quality using a single PC that I am used to by splitting the load between two. It looked Okay at best, but nothing like what it did several weeks ago on the old setup using one PC to game and the other to capture. In my mind this rules out any issues with the 9900k, motherboard, ram, etc., on the new PC. I took the second M.2 drive out and only left in the Evo Pro M.2 drive for my OS hoping that maybe it was causing some issue or interference. I also took out the graphics card (used motherboard integrated graphics) with only the capture card installed into the PCIe slot that the graphics card was installed in. All of these test yielded the same results. The 9900k is OC to 5.0 with no heat issues. I am using the Kraken X72 AIO for cooling. Feel free to hit me up on discord @ GrandSpartan9811 if you have any ideas you would like to throw my way.

GrandSpartan

If you record it instead of streaming with the same settings, does it look the same?
The recordings looks great. If I game and encode on the same 9900k it looks acceptable, but if I split the load by gaming on the 8700k and encoding on the 9900k it looks terrible. It kind of rules out any hardware issue with the new 9900k being that it can game and record/stream at the same time with no issues. Makes no sense why it can't just do the one job (encode) successfully. It is not nearly as stressed by just being only the encoding PC versus doing both at the same time. It also feels like you could rule out the capture card, as the local recordings look outstanding.

D

Deleted member 121471

Just for clarity's sake, when you tried local recordings, you tried the following:

1) Gaming on the 8700k rig then sent to streaming rig through capture card;
2) Local recording on 9900k rig using the exact same settings for recording as the ones used for streaming.

GrandSpartan

That is correct. The Avermedia Live Gamer 4k is installed in the 9900k. I am gaming on the 8700k. The same settings for recording are applied to streaming, but yield different results. I have tested, ping, packet loss, and called my ISP to check for noise. To completely rule out my ISP, I used my 4g phone to stream with the same final results. I streamed again tonight using the 9900k only. So I was stressing it more by gaming and streaming on the same rig. The stream didn't look too bad honestly, but the goal here was to build a new encoding rig to split the load. For the life of me I can't figure out why it won't work that way.

Nayr438

So far @GrandSpartan has tried changing around most of the x264 Perimeters.
Anything above the simple Profile of Medium causes the stream to lagg out. Basically when more data is added to the output.
Encoding itself seems to be fine as his recordings look pretty good.
System resources are readily available for the process as it doesn't fully utilize any cores during the process and all are continuously active.
His up-link is more than capable with no data loss.
He has no issues with rendering or encoding lagg, and has no dropped frames due to network as far as OBS reports.
No errors are produced.
Testing with twitch confirms he is uploading his full bitrate with no abnormal behavior as far as Twitch is concerned.
He streams to youtube, but twitch was used for some testing. Twitch also produces the same results.
Based on what was discussed however, his streaming quality improves when he is streaming a game from the same system rather than splitting the load using a capture card.
Based on testing, it appears that his stream output is losing frame data during transmission or is being further compressed before it reaches the end viewer. Sort of like a network limitation if we go off the data loss, but no limitations were found.
I setup a clean system and was unable to reproduce the issue he experiences on lesser hardware.
That is basically where it is at for the moment.

Last edited: