Question / Help Dual monitors, main monitor stutters while 2nd one is fine

Hello, I've been trying to find a solution to this problem, but have not been able to find any problems very similar to this. I am currently running a dual monitor setup with a GTX 1070. My main monitor is hooked up to a DisplayPort on my graphics card while my second monitor is hooked up to a DVI-D on my graphics card. My main monitor is a ViewSonic XG2701, and the second monitor I am using is a way smaller Dell e2013h.

Whenever I load into even some of the simplest games (say Roblox for example) and I show the preview on my second display as I am playing the game, every so often I will get a stutter that will occur only on my main monitor, but is not picked up on my second monitor, as it still looks like a solid 60 FPS is being recorded on there. I've looked back at my recordings and have also found that no stutter was picked up. My bitrate for recording is currently 250000. My first conclusion is that something is going on between the refresh rate differences (ViewSonic is 144hrz Dell is 60Hrz) or the fact that they are both plugged into different kinds of adapters. I would try plugging in my second monitor to a DisplayPort plug but unfortunately the Dell does not support DisplayPort.

I've noticed that when I play games without OBS open, or without the preview being enabled for me to see, there is no stuttering through my main monitor, and everything runs smoothly.

I haven't really been able to find any problems that are similar to this on the forums so hopefully someone can help me solve this issue. Here are my specs:

i7 7700k
Asus GTX 1070
EVGA 850 B3
Seagate Barracuda 2.5TB HDD
SanDisk 240GB SSD
Asus ROG Strix z270e Gaming Motherboard

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
You didn't include a log file or mention what version of Windows you are on, so I can only guess a bit.

This is a known issue with either how Windows handles multiple displays (at least on Windows 8+) or how graphics drivers handle multiple displays. For some reason, when OBS and a game are open on separate monitors with different refresh rates, both monitors end up downclocked to the lower refresh rate. In the NVIDIA Control Panel, I think you can see that the 144Hz monitor has been set to 60Hz, and force it back to 144Hz after opening OBS. Please keep in mind, this advice is second-hand, as I don't have multiple monitors to test this issue/solution.

I tried the suggestion, upon the start of OBS the monitor still said it was at 144hrz in NVIDIA Control Panel. I have included the log file of my recording session. I recorded around 12 minutes of Roblox gameplay. There is no actual stuttering in the recording if you would like to have a look here.

Attachments

• 2018-07-18 23-58-29.txt
    15.5 KB · Views: 60

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
If I recall correctly, you need to open the NVIDIA Control Panel after you've already opened OBS and the symptom appears. I don't believe its UI updates the listed refresh rate value otherwise. I don't think the symptom always (or ever?) manifests as recording problems. It just downclocks the displays. It never shows up in the logs.

RytoEX

Forum Admin
Forum Moderator
Developer
Then I'm out of suggestions. Again, I've only seen these cases through the lens of the Internet. I don't have mixed refresh rate monitors, so I've never experienced this myself.

D

Deleted member 121471

Try setting the 144Hz monitor to 120Hz refresh rate.

I have that same monitor and refresh rates that aren't multiples of the secondary monitor's cause stuttering, on my system.

Last edited by a moderator: