Dual GPU Laptops - crashing Unity demos - solved

felix dodd

Hi,
I am developing for DK2 with Unity and wanted to share my findings when presenting demos on a dual GPU Laptop. For the last 24 hours I struggled to get Unity demos to work with OBS and after trying to reinstall NVidia drivers, Oculus runtimes, and getting paranoid about Windows 8.1 (I had no issues on my Windows 7 workstations) I finally realised the solution.

Right click on OBS and force it to use the Nvidia GPU otherwise it might use the Intel graphics by default and return a D3d crash when streaming a demo on the Nvidia GPU. Weirdly this was not necessary for some demos which made the problem really hard to pinpoint; it was only the Unity builds I needed to show to the Client (typical!!!) that crashed every time. This was a close call because we had no method of mirroring the DK2 on our laptop so relied entirely on OBS to guide the client through the demo.

Anyways wanted to share because it drove me nuts so hopefully anyone else with the same problem might find this post useful.

Other than that Kudos to OBS - it is awesome!!

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Thank you for the information, I really appreciate it. Switchable adapter laptops drive me crazy. It's frustrating because laptops are nice and compact, therefore everyone gets a laptop instead of a desktop. I really wish that there were laptops that didn't rely on the switchable graphics functionality.