Question / Help Dual GPU, 1 for gaming - 2nd for streaming

r1sh12

Hey all,

Ive been a long time avid user of OBS Studio and really do love it as a streaming application to enable me to stream to various platforms.
Currently I am using the NVENC h.264 encoder, and for the most part its perfect, however recently some games tend to 100% my GPU therefore it has no available resource to allow me to stream.
Ive tried on my CPU but my CPU also bottlenecks.

I currently have a GTX 980Ti, i7-4770k, so was thinking about adding an extra GPU for encoding.
I had a couple questions,

1. I assume when/if I install an AMD GPU something not amazing, but enough to encode - will the encoder show up in the list with the AMD encoder?
2. There isnt any consistent information, under Output> Advanced> GPU = 0, I believe this is the number of GPU to use.
Is there any way to know which GPU it refers to?
i.e GPU location on mobo or something?

Does this sound like something that is possible?
Where my 980Ti is going to be running my monitors and games, but my AMD card can encode for streaming,

Thanks in advance guys <3

-r1sh12

TryHD

this will not help at all, nvenc doesn't use the gpu for encoding, there is a dedicated chip for that on the card.

r1sh12

I kinda get that the encode/decode might have an embedded dedicated chip, but why is it some games cause my stream (using NVENC) to become really poor?

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
OBS uses the GPU for scene compositing, allowing a game to max it out will tank performance regardless of the encoder. Running OBS on a GPU other than the one it's capturing from will also hurt performance. The solution is to either upgrade your GPU or manage the game's GPU load (using vsync or an FPS limiter, turning down details, etc.).

sam686

You can try QuickSync encoder. To use it, need to turn on intel integrated graphics in BIOS / motherboard settings, with maybe intel graphics drivers installed.

If you still have problems, stream or record, then show us OBS-studio logs.

r1sh12

Thanks All....
I know my 980Ti has a little bottleneck but it shouldnt be so big to affect all new games, but I will updatee asap, thanks again