Question / Help Dual Audio Tracks Nightmare! (Not working)

Yoshiman421

There we go, it was actually an issue with my monetization settings, my network adds about 500 options that are a bit confusing haha.

I was trying to not monetize it. Instead I blocked viewing in all countries.

If the recording you have open there in your window is an indication that you use .flv, then don't. Use .mp4 instead.

If you are using mp4 and it still doesn't work:
Have you checked in for example VLC and verified that both tracks are there? Premiere could have issues with this before. If you have verified that they are actually there, establishing that the problem doesn't lie elsewhere then: Get VirtualDub (http://www.virtualdub.org/), and you might also need https://sourceforge.net/projects/virtualdubffmpeginputplugin/
Then open the .mp4, select Audio->Audio Source and then export them one by one to wav so you can import those to premiere. You should be able to do this in Audacity as well if you have the ffmpeg plugin there.

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
Please don't record directly to MP4. If you require multi-track audio in an MP4 container, record to MKV and remux it. MP4 is not a resilient container format and if something goes wrong during the recording process the whole file is typically lost.

Please don't record directly to MP4. If you require multi-track audio in an MP4 container, record to MKV and remux it. MP4 is not a resilient container format and if something goes wrong during the recording process the whole file is typically lost.

Ah cheers, never experienced that myself, but good to know!

Sapiens

Forum Moderator
Just to clarify, "something going wrong" is an OBS crash or a system crash or OBS otherwise being terminated unexpectedly. The MP4 can't be closed properly and is almost always completely unrecoverable. FLV (not an option here) and MKV don't have this problem and since it's super easy to remux in OBS Studio now it's easier to avoid the potential headache of getting a corrupt recording.

Yoshiman421

I use quicktime mov to record because its pretty well coded and its just my preferred format. MOV format does support dual tracks. I've tried outputting to MP4 and MKV and there is still no second track. My buddy opened an MP4 version in final cut pro and there was a second track, but it was empty. The audio meant to be going to the second track just doesnt. The volume bar for the 'desktop audio' device on obs studio does work, meaning that its not my audio device either, and when i switch it to one track, it works fine.

Yes, I have opened the raw file in VLC and Media Player to check if there's a second track there. Still none. It is definitely an issue with OBS's output.

Yoshiman421

I can post a log but it won't have any errors in it.
OBS Studio log: https://gist.github.com/anonymous/3776dffed74919732e386121ca953f9b

Video I recorded during that OBS log:

The audio tracks in the raw file, not editing in premiere but playing in VLC player, also only had my voice over it. It's clear to me that OBS is creating the second audio track but not writing the audio to that track.

That thread is not helpful. I'm already using a file format that supports multiple audio tracks.

Last edited:

Osiris

You realize that VLC only plays one track at a time right?
Multi-track audio works perfectly fine here.

Yoshiman421

It doesn't work on Youtube or in Premiere either. My friend opened the file in Final Cut and the second track is blank. Did you actually read the whole thread? It is genuinely not putting the second set of audio into the file.

Osiris

upload a sample of said video somewhere and link it here. But if the volume bar is moving for both devices (when they are playing/recording audio) in the obs mixer, then there will be audio in all tracks. I just tried that and both tracks had audio.

Yoshiman421

upload a sample of said video somewhere and link it here. But if the volume bar is moving for both devices (when they are playing/recording audio) in the obs mixer, then there will be audio in all tracks. I just tried that and both tracks had audio.

That Youtube video was recorded with both tracks active. There is supposed to be music playing from Minecraft.

Osiris

You mean both devices playing on 1 track? Or 1 device on a single track and both tracks selected in the recording settings?
If it's the latter then you won't hear the other track on YT.
I would need to have the raw file.

Yoshiman421

As you can see in my OP video, I have the audio going to two tracks. And as I said in my second previous post, the audio doesn't appear in premiere or final cut pro, or in the raw audio file. I've already posted all of the evidence I need to man, its all there. Just watch the videos.

You can see in the log I posted while recording the video that it is set to output to two tracks.

I have tried reinstalling OBS, starting from fresh settings, using all the different file formats OBS supports, changing my bitrate, and switching which tracks I'm using. None of those methods work. The audio is not being output to the second audio track.