Question / Help Dropping frames since 144hz switch

Aiequi

Hello, I recently switched to a 144hz monitor and I've been having an issue with streaming ever since. (I have a 144hz as my main monitor and a 60hz one as secondary)
Every time my game is running at more than 60FPS (144 in this case) OBS drops frames like crazy, and whenever I lock the said game to 60fps, OBS runs smoothly. And this is happening with every single game I tried, Overwatch, Slay the Spire, Rainbow6 etc.

I've tried dozens of suggested solutions online last couple of days, even formatted my PC to factory new and still having the same issue. my only solution at the moment is to cap games at 60fps whenever possible, otherwise I'm streaming at a choppy 30-50 fps.
Also, I don't have any issue ingame, Overwatch for example runs at a smooth 144fps, even when OBS is dropping like crazy.

Here is my log file, I've only started a local recording to demonstrate my issue, the same thing happens when I'm live:
https://gist.github.com/277d92639103784c05f22cb3689f678f

If anybody has any suggestion I'd love to try it out!

SumDim

Here's what I do on one of my 60Hz/144Hz streaming systems:

1) Put an OBS desktop shortcut on the 60Hz monitor
2) Click and launch OBS using the desktop shortcut. Make sure it launches on the 60Hz monitor.
3) Disable OBS preview, bring up the Stats window to refer to ( View | Stats)
4) Use 144Hz monitor and game/window/display capture it

You don't need to see the preview while you are streaming or recording. Use it only for testing and setup of your layouts.

Don't run Twitch or YouTube admin panels on the same box you are streaming on. That will take off some GPU usage rendering the video playback on the same streaming machine.
Rather, watch your stream using a different computing device, like a low cost Chrome laptop with Chrome browser up showing Twitch/YouTube admin, stream playback and chat.

Or, the other solution is to cough up and buy another 144Hz monitor of the same manufacturer and model if you got the money to do so.

Aiequi

Alright, sounds like a plan, thank you for the good tips! switching and starting obs from the 60hz screen already seems to reduce the drops. I'll just buy another 144hz monitor and see what happens.