Dropping frames on recording locally on MacBook Pro

jonobacon

Hey, Everyone,

Having some troubles with OBS, and I am hoping you can help.

So, I have a MacBook Pro with the following specs:

Screen Shot 2022-07-26 at 2.31.57 PM.png

Plugged into it I have a Thunderbolt Dock (OWC) with:

* Canon SL3 via CamLink.
* Logitech Brio.
* Elgate Wave mic
* StreamDeck

I am not doing any streaming but just using OBS for recording videos locally. CPU usage varies between 3% - 6%, but I am getting a lot of fan noise when OBS is running.

The problem I have is that I often have dropped frames in the recordings. Given the fairly low CPU usage and what I thought was a reasonably powerful MacBook Pro, it seems I should be experiencing these performance problems. Frame rate is set to 24fps.

Attaching a bunch of log files. Any idea what might be the problem?

Thanks is advance!

Attachments

• 2022-07-25 21-34-49.txt
    37.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 2022-07-25 22-08-15.txt
    48.4 KB · Views: 2

Lawrence_SoCal

I am not doing any streaming but just using OBS for recording videos locally. CPU usage varies between 3% - 6%, but I am getting a lot of fan noise when OBS is running.

The problem I have is that I often have dropped frames in the recordings. Given the fairly low CPU usage and what I thought was a reasonably powerful MacBook Pro, it seems I should be experiencing these performance problems. Frame rate is set to 24fps.
First caveat... I'm not a Mac user.
However, while awaiting a more knowledgeable response, here is my $0.02
- I'm guessing that CPU stat is from the OBS Stats? if yes, my opinion is that stat is near useless without a more detailed understanding. What you need to know is overall System CPU usage (not OBS' portion, with camera processing, plugins, etc... which is nice to know, maybe with really old CPU, but nowadays.. )
Use System Monitor (I believe it is called in MacOS) and monitor overall stats

You have a LOT of CPU hogging filters/effects [which I'd have thought would show in CPU stats... but worth double-checking]
And you are using CPU based encoding, vs offloading to GPU or QuickSync??

And don't ignore the BIG RED warning about NOT recording to MP4. Only advanced users, ok with recording loss, should even consider recording to MP4 format (remux after the fact to MP4, as I do.. only takes 10-20 seconds on my NVMe drive to swap out video wrapper as a 12GB video file)