Bug Report Dropped frames skyrocketing after 30-40 minutes

Carbonthief

I updated to the latest version of OBS the other day, and now I'm having an issue. Everything will be fine, I'll stream for about 30-40 minutes, and suddenly I'll notice the dropped frames counter is just going wild. Check my stream in a browser and sure enough it's getting like 1 frame for every 5 seconds.

I can fix it by clicking "stop streaming" and then "start streaming" and then it's fine again for another 30-40 minutes.

http://imgur.com/uCEaf,QnM9l

Screenshot just as it starts to happen. The dropped frames counter will be 0 for first 30ish minutes, then starts rapidly climbing.

Was going to post the log, but, well,
http://imgur.com/W0H0X

Here is the latest VOD where this occurred.

http://www.twitch.tv/carbonthief/b/335360386

Right exactly at 36 minutes is where it breaks.

If there is more information you would like, I will be glad to provide it. I'm also not assuming that this is a problem with OBS, it may be a problem with my system or something. I'm posting this because it didn't seem to happen until I upgraded to .42a, so it seemed to possibly be a bug.

edit: I might can blame this on iTunes. iTunes does this thing that I've never been able to find a fix for where the longer it's open the more memory it consumes, until it's out of control, consuming over half a gig of RAM, and songs start skipping as if their fastforwarding. Thing is, if it's paused, you don't notice when it gets to this point, and it doesn't always start messing up but it will still be consuming retarded amounts of memory. I checked and it had reached this point. Closing and reopening iTunes fixes this problem.

So while it's weird that stream would still work fine for the first 30 minutes, I'm going to assume for now that this was iTunes' fault and try streaming again.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Well, actually, there appears to be a potential minor design flaw in the way I currently seem to be handling dropped frames at the moment. Sometimes once you start dropping frames, frames keep dropping until you enter a low-activity scene. What should be happening is you should be dropping only as many as you need to compensate. So I'm going to have to fix that.

Carbonthief

Jim said:
Well, actually, there appears to be a potential minor design flaw in the way I currently seem to be handling dropped frames at the moment. Sometimes once you start dropping frames, frames keep dropping until you enter a low-activity scene. What should be happening is you should be dropping only as many as you need to compensate. So I'm going to have to fix that.

Oh, ok, thanks for the reply. Love the software.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
er, woops.. I'm terribly sorry for that. I fixed it in the link.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I don't believe a log would help in this situation. Are you sure it only started happening in the new version? Either way, I'll try to get frame dropping to work a bit more smoothly by next version if I can.

Carbonthief

Jim said:
I don't believe a log would help in this situation. Are you sure it only started happening in the new version? Either way, I'll try to get frame dropping to work a bit more smoothly by next version if I can.

I was able to stream 2 full 4 hour sessions in the previous version, and had several sessions over an hour. I am pretty sure it's only since the new version. Maybe just coincidence. It does very consistently happen after about 35 minutes though.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
Okay, thank you for telling me. I'm going to be fixing that bug in the next release with the dropped frames, and making sure that it tries to go back to green. What you're saying sounds fairly normal despite how crazy that might sound.