Question / Help DOSBox problem.

EdMaxtor

I'm having a problem trying to record DOSBox in OBS. I've added game capture to the scene and had it try to capture DOSBox. I've tried restarting obs in administrator mode, as well as re-starting DOSBox and re-adding it's game capture in OBS. It's really starting to bug me. There is no crash log because OBS didn't crash, it just doesn't capture DOSBox.

EdMaxtor

Nice nice. Now I'm being ignored. Thanks for wasting my time OBS. What good is support if it doesn't help? Better yet, instead of telling me a method I won't use. Why not figure out WHY DOSBox won't work on Game Capture and get it to work.

EdMaxtor

Also for the record, I'm using OBS 64-bit. I've tried OBS 32-bit and the same shtick happens. Either you're going to help me or you aren't, in the case that you don't, I will still use OBS, just not for DOSBox. Also, drink this in, OBS is better than XSplit in every way I've seen, yet XSplit has no issues capturing and recording DOSBox.

EdMaxtor

OpenGL Game Capture didn't work, and I'm not someone who's familiar with compiling executable files.

EdMaxtor

This is a tell-tale sign that the people who work on OBS don't care. I'm not the first person to point this out either, videos dating back to early 2015 address "How to record DOSBox on OBS". THERE SHOULDN'T BE A TUTORIAL FOR RECORDING SOMETHING AS SIMPLE AS DOSBOX. My posting this topic was more or less implying the request to fix this issue and make recording DOSBox and other such things more user friendly, hands on, and less trivial.

c3r1c3

At no point have you mentioned if you tried display capture.. instead you focused in on Window capture only... even though I explicitly stated that both methods are usable.

Did you try it? If so, you need to report back on what happened (i.e. how you screwed it up) so we can help you... but you didn't see fit to actually try what I suggested, so why should I spend anymore time on a person who doesn't follow directions?

Complaining about why there should or shouldn't be tutorials is pointless... not everyone knows what other people know and tutorials are there to help people who don't know as much...Like you, who has no clue how capture works in OBS or XSplit or have no clue how to set it up properly for DOSBox.

Last point: You do know that this is a completely volunteer effort? and posting ungrateful/stupid-moronic-selfish-entitlement posts means people are going to stay away from you... including me.

And now I am ignoring you.

Have a nice day.

Raymond Light

The problem isn't with obs. The problem can be fixed in the conf file labeled 'DOSBox 0.74 Options' . Open that file and search for 'fullresolution=original" using ctrl+f. Change 'original' to your display resolution if you have a multi monitor setup. Two lines down you should see 'output=original', change it to 'output=opengl', and save.

This is what I did, and it works for me. Hope it was somewhat helpful.

OBSStudNZ

A big THANK-YOU VERY MUCH to Raymond Light in their post from Mar 22, 2018 they have enabled me to record from DOSBOX 0.74 using OBS Studio 22.0.2 (64-bit, windows)Studio.

I registered with this forum just so I could say that thank you to you :) Well done.

Hondish

This is a tell-tale sign that the people who work on OBS don't care. I'm not the first person to point this out either, videos dating back to early 2015 address "How to record DOSBox on OBS". THERE SHOULDN'T BE A TUTORIAL FOR RECORDING SOMETHING AS SIMPLE AS DOSBOX. My posting this topic was more or less implying the request to fix this issue and make recording DOSBox and other such things more user friendly, hands on, and less trivial.
It is 2023, and I was having a similar issue. Googling led me to this post. I doubt you’ll ever see this, but just in case:

You’re a mean-spirited little piss baby, and I hope you never got this to work.

Cheers,

Xegethra

Same, Just signed up to also say it worked. Swapping to opengl did what I needed. Even if I'm using it in windowed mode, it works there too.