Bug Report Distortion with Focusrite Scarlett Audio Interface

JakeyDaRocker

Hello!
I recently upgraded my audio setup to an AudioTechnica AT2020 with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface. The setup works wonderfully until about 4 hours into a stream when I start to get some terrible audio distortion (I'll include a clip for an example) I've browsed the forum a bit and I've seen at least one other user with the same issue that is also using an AT2020 and a Focusrite Scarlett audio interface.

I also do some recording in Audacity with this audio setup for my YouTube channel and don't seem to come across the issue when recording audio through Audacity. I can only assume it's a compatibility issue with the audio interface and OBS Studio and thought I should post about it here for a possible fix to be worked on to increase the compatibility of OBS Studio with different audio solutions.

I should also mention that simply disabling and re enabling the Focusrite Scarlett under Mic/Auxiliary Audio Device in settings seems to fix the issue if it does occur.

Twitch clip which shows the issue: https://clips.twitch.tv/jakeydarocker13/HappyHorseSoonerLater

Thanks for taking the time to read this post!

JakeyDaRocker

Looks like I have fixed the issue and want to post the solution I've found for anybody else who may come across this issue in the future. It seems all I had to do was change the buffer size in the included ASIO Control Panel from 128 to 256. I've only done one stream so far with this change but didn't run into the issue at all for the entire 6 hours I was streaming.

Hope this is helpful to anyone who may come across the same issue in the future! Shoutouts to Frankzedsa and Exoditus on the Twitch subreddit for helping me solve this issue!

Attachments

• bandicam 2017-01-16 01-56-17-441.jpg
    bandicam 2017-01-16 01-56-17-441.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 5,772

blunderball

You're a life saver Jakey. I've been crawling around the internet on and off for months trying to solve this issue and was just about resigned to having to buy a new interface. Your solution worked perfectly.

I had exactly the same issue, after 3:50-4:10 hours of recording/streaming the microphone became a distorted robotic mess.

I encountered the problem in both OBS platforms and both Xsplit platforms. Like you mentioned no problems with Audacity on its own, however I have noticed that it can be recorded in Audacity once it starts if OBS/Xsplit is still open.

I've seen a number of other people around Reddit/Focusrite support/OBS forums all having the same problem and nobody ever being able to fix it.

MacroMichael

I have the same problem right now and even though you guys found the fix, I can't find the download for the ASIO control panel. I've been looking everywhere and I just cant seem to find it. If there is any way you guys can help out that would be highly appreciated.

JakeyDaRocker

I have the same problem right now and even though you guys found the fix, I can't find the download for the ASIO control panel. I've been looking everywhere and I just cant seem to find it. If there is any way you guys can help out that would be highly appreciated.
So it turns out it's actually a power issue with the Focusrite 2i2. The ASIO Control Panel seemed to fix it but it only prevented the issue from happening as often.

What finally fixed the issue for me was I ordered an external Phantom Power Supply (Which you can find very easily by just searching "phantom power supply" on Amazon) and that completely fixed the issue. I haven't had the problem occur since, so I'm going to assume the 2i2's built in 48v phantom power isn't enough to provide power to both of the 2i2's inputs.

Hope this helps! Feel free to reply if you have anymore questions!