Displaying YouTube LiveChat Comments on Stream | Without Streamyard, FREE

ZackyVT

Displaying and selecting youtube stream comments in your stream is a pretty simple task. Although, this feature has been completely blown out. In the market right now, there are very few software that can help you do this and none of them are natively integrated into OBS. Software like Streamyard, VMix Social, RestreamIO, they all cost upwards of hundreds of dollars every year. Most users simply just want to select and display LiveChat comments on their stream without paying hundreds of dollars annually or getting your stream filled with watermarks as well as using a totally different streaming software and abandoning OBS.

Well, now there's a solution to this. I'm a simple developer and I simply wanted to create free software that filled this feature and did not incur any additional cost, put watermarks on people's stream or put any kind of limitation to this feature. I created Twidget. Twidget is a windows application that is used with OBS to display and select Youtube Livestream comments to the OBS stream for free.

Download Twidget Here: Twidget Download Page

DemoPic.png

Twidget uses a browser source to connect OBS with itself. It runs a service on localhost:3000/source to which the user has to create a browser source and link this URL to it. Twidget is easy to use, just run the installer and wait for the installer to install the application. And then open Twidget, sign in using the google account, and then click the start button, paste the YouTube stream URL to the box and click OK. Twidget should start loading the live chats from the stream into the app's chatbox.

twidgetStart.png

You then open OBS, create a new browser source, use the "localhost:3000/source" URL, set your desired width and height of the chat widget, enable the "Refresh Browser When Scene Becomes Active" option, leave everything as default, then click OK. You should see a small loading widget that shows Twidget is loading, once this widget disappears, it means it's active.

obsSource.png

You then go back to Twidget and select the chats you would like to display, you can scroll to view all the chats in the chatbox as well as unselect chats you've already selected. You can also change the theme of the widget by clicking the settings icon in the chatbox menubar and selecting your desired templates.

twidgetChatFeed.png

PS: If the chats don't appear in the OBS browser source widget, simply refresh the scene by changing to another scene, waiting a few seconds, and then changing back to the scene with the OBS browser source. This will refresh the browser source widget and the chats should be displayed now!

clean.png

legendlazy

Hey ZackyVT, this looks great! Are you planning on supporting platforms other than YouTube? Would be great to be able to use Restream and have the ability to display messages from multiple chats using OBS rather than their web software.

ZackyVT

Yes! I'm planning on supporting Facebook Live, Twitch, LinkedInLive, etc. This is a very new project and I've only worked on it for about 2 weeks in a part-time setting, but I will keep working on lots more features and support different platforms! So feel free if anyone has any suggestions or feedback regarding the app

Can this use for multiple post from Facebook? For example, 5 post from 5 different groups without poster authorization?

Reasons:
Reading comments from different post from different groups (probably same topic) at one place.

ZackyVT

Can this use for multiple post from Facebook? For example, 5 post from 5 different groups without poster authorization?

Reasons:
Reading comments from different post from different groups (probably same topic) at one place.

The current version of Twidget only supports YouTube chats but I will be implementing Twitch and Facebook chats in the next update. Thanks!

Benjaminprog

I tried this for a few and I can say this AN ABSOLUTE GAME CHANGER but I went back to my previous solution since this one is still in its infancy, but I believe THIS WILL BE A KILLER APP as it matures more and more.

Hope you take my pointers below into consideration.

- Scrolling, the app doesn't not automatically scrolls down to the latest chat, when you open the app you have to manually continue to do the scrolling to see the latest chat.

- Animation, something as simple as Fade in Fade out will give this a modern tone.

-Reply from the Chat, This will make it so much easier so that way I don't have to have two windows open and would minimize resource

-Docking... it just would make it sweeter to have all docked on the UX

-CSS although you have a few options to select from, I'd like to make the font bigger and play around with font layout modification and colors schemes.

HEy i need your help, I have follwed all steps correctly but dont know whats wrong the chat just isnt comingup in twidget even after putting in the correct link

i really wanna use this and im sure i have followed all steps im experienced with installing apps and thos estuff so kmow its not me not doing it right just not sure why my live chst isnt being deisplayed in the app

ZackyVT

I have found another way to do it but would like to use your app awaiting you reply

Could you describe the problem in detail? Are the chats not showing in the chatbox? Is it stuck in the "loading..." dialog? Or does the chats not appear in OBS when it's selected?

TBO1981

Can't wait to try the FB stuff, one of the things that bother me the most when streaming over there is keeping a browser up just to read comments, or grabbing my tablet. let me know if you need a tester, would be happy to as I stream both FB and Twitch depending on the day