Question / Help Diamond VC500 not working

wumpus

My new Diamond VC500 works with its included PowerDirector and EzGrabber software. But when I add the VC500 (Conexant Polaris Video Capture) as a source to OBS:
2018-01-29 16_32_12-Create Thread _ Open Broadcaster Software.jpg

I get no video or audio while a VHS tape is playing:
2018-01-29 16_33_05-OBS 21.0.1 (64bit, windows) - Profile_ Untitled - Scenes_ Untitled.jpg
I tried grabbing the little red circle in the upper-left of the (preview?) panel, thinking I needed to re-size the included portion of the panel, but the red circle just disappears.

If I leave the tape playing, close OBS then open PowerDirectory or EzGrabber, video and audio show up in both of them.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

My env:
CPU: Intel Core i5-7200U
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Windows 10 Pro (1709) x64
Diamond One-Touch Video Capture VC500 with latest drivers from vendor website
USB 2.0 Video Capture
Driver Provider: Conexant
Driver Date: 7/23/2014
Driver Version: 7.0.127.71
Digital Signer: Shenzhen Geniatech Technology LTD.​
USB 2.0 Audio Capture
Driver Provider: Conexant
Driver Date: 7/23/2014
Driver Version: 7.0.127.71
Composite connection to Sharp VCR (VC-H89OU)​

philled

My new Diamond VC500 works with its included PowerDirector and EzGrabber software. But when I add the VC500 (Conexant Polaris Video Capture) as a source to OBS:
View attachment 33767

View attachment 33768
I tried grabbing the little red circle in the upper-left of the (preview?) panel, thinking I needed to re-size the included portion of the panel, but the red circle just disappears.

If I leave the tape playing, close OBS then open PowerDirectory or EzGrabber, video and audio show up in both of them.

Try selecting USB 2 Audio as the audio device instead of the Conexant audio device. I found the video starts working when I do this.

jebus

Thank you for this solution! Is there any way to reduce the frame drop? Currently dropping around 9% of frames capturing Hi-8 from a sony handycam via composite.

JLA

I've had major issuses with the VC500 USB cable and PowerDirector 12 package. I've had a number of support tickets into both Diamond Multimedia (VC500) and Cyberlink (PowerDirector) to resolve a number of my issuses. They may be related to your problem, but here are everyone who has purchase this product.

First, I can say I can transfer VHS tapes to PC (Windows 10) with some success if I decide to export the file types to MP4 using TV Signal input. (and even then PowerDirector 12 crashes or doesn't import back what was just exported.) For each tape I wanted to transfer, I had to manually reinsert the USB connector into my computer so that Windows would recognize the VC500 device. That was a pain, but at least it worked.

So checking out Cyberlink for a fix, I discovered a more current version of PowerDirector was available. I downloaded the 30 day trial of Power Director 17 Ultra thinking it would fix a number of issues only to find VC500 doesn't work at all. I do have to commend Cyberlink technical support for they have been most helpful and responsive to my issues. Through them, we have determined its the Conexant Polaris video driver is the problem. I loaded up a 3rd-party capture tool and got the same results from Power Director 17.

Talking to DiamondMM technical support and passing along my research thus far, have had little or no feedback on what to do next.

Bottomline is there is no upgrade path in place to a more current version of Power Director and DiamondMM doesn't seem to offer up any fixes at this time. (May 15, 2019)

I'm attempting to find the most current 64-bit Conexant Polaris drivers to determine if will fix the video. It is preferred DiamondMM and Cyberlink do this for us.

MALM123

Thank you for this solution! Is there any way to reduce the frame drop? Currently dropping around 9% of frames capturing Hi-8 from a sony handycam via composite.

Just wanted to say a huge thankyou to philled - ive spent about 4-5 hours on this at this point, searching forums and talking with the (very friendly and knowledgeable) tech support at diamond. Might even call him back cause he said this is a common issue. his suggestion was that its ok for the video input device to be set to polaris audio capture, but he didnt mention the analogue audio in. this was 100% the solution needed for a very common issue.

hero <3

Neil-G

View attachment 33767

View attachment 33768

My env:
CPU: Intel Core i5-7200U​
RAM: 16GB DDR4​
Windows 10 Pro (1709) x64​
Diamond One-Touch Video Capture VC500 with latest drivers from vendor website​
USB 2.0 Video Capture​
Driver Provider: Conexant​
Driver Date: 7/23/2014​
Driver Version: 7.0.127.71​

USB 2.0 Audio Capture​

The way to solve this is to go into the Conexant Polaris capture properties in OBS, click on 'Configure Crossbar' then tick 'Link Related Streams'. You will probably have to reselect the input source again to get the 'Apply' tab enabled, but once you click on OK you will get audio in all it's glory. Please reply if you need more help.

Neil-G

View attachment 33767

View attachment 33768

My env:
CPU: Intel Core i5-7200U​
RAM: 16GB DDR4​
Windows 10 Pro (1709) x64​
Diamond One-Touch Video Capture VC500 with latest drivers from vendor website​
USB 2.0 Video Capture​

USB 2.0 Audio Capture​

The only way I manage to get video from the Polaris device in OBS is to first open it in AVS Video Recorder, Ulead VideoStudio or Power Director. Once the device is started you can close these apps, then open OBS with the previously set up capture source.

provels

The way to solve this is to go into the Conexant Polaris capture properties in OBS, click on 'Configure Crossbar' then tick 'Link Related Streams'. You will probably have to reselect the input source again to get the 'Apply' tab enabled, but once you click on OK you will get audio in all it's glory. Please reply if you need more help.
Worked here. Thanks for the tip!

Dankait

I've found a solution to get Diamond Multimedia's VC500 video and audio working in OBS, thanks to a helpful YouTube video posted by Mr Dave Pizza.

When adding the VC500 Video Capture device as an OBS Source, under Properties (or if you have already added it, select the Source and then Properties) be sure to scroll further down within the Properties window and choose the following audio selections:
  • Select the checkbox for "Use custom audio device".
  • For Audio Device, choose Analog Audio In (USB2.0 Video Capture). See attached screenshot for details.
The video capture screen should appear at the top of the properties menu, if you have a source connected to the VC500 Capture Device.

Select OK to close the window.

Note: If the audio stops working, remember to reboot your computer/laptop and this will be corrected in OBS.

Attachments

• Video and Audio Properties 'VC500 Diamond'.png
    Video and Audio Properties 'VC500 Diamond'.png
    46 KB · Views: 67