Question / Help Desktop, no sound when OBS is opened, other issues

IgroSome

I had this same problem. I know this is an old thread, but I still thought I might add.

I simply disabled app mic permissions (using Windows settings) and sound came right back on. Not sure what to do if you want to use mic and still hear audio, though.

Pratik Gohil

I was having the same problem, I fixed it by going to the sound setting in the control panel, there you will find 2 devices headphones and headset (for one actual Bluetooth device) disable one named headphones it should work

Pratik Gohil

I was having the same problem, I fixed it by going to the sound setting in the control panel, there you will find 2 devices headphones and headset (for one actual Bluetooth device) disable one named headphones it should work
you don't have to disable anything just change the audio output in the bottom right corner(windows)
2020-11-02 16_50_07-.png

Andrew Martin

So I Downloaded OBS yesterday and used the wizard for the optimal setup. didn't change anything except to avoid the mike picking up anything not from the monitor. several issues immediately cropped up. When trying to use Game Capture to stream some Minecraft, all that shows is a black screen (have to open OBS as admin to fix). whats more, although OBS is showing that it picks up sound just fine, i cannot hear anything coming out of my speakers. no matter what capture I'm using, no matter what scene I'm on, the second I open up the application, there is no sound. A side note that might be related, YouTube videos will refuse to play when the app is open unless I open as administrator as well, no sound regardless of course. I've checked that my playback devices have my speakers as default both before and after i open OBS. Volume mixer is setup so there should be a decent amount of volume/noise coming out for all my applications. i made a thread on r/twitch here and they suggested that i come to here to see if the devs or someone else on here could give me advice. any help is appreciated!

I read a thread that said to post a log when making one of these help request posts so even though the problem persisted whether i was streaming or not, here: https://gist.github.com/2c0b2a2407b2198782ae45b9638c5cfe
SO the OBS guy here simply does not know what to do. Why not admit it? Who Knows? Not important: The Solution is.

I am using a Skull Candy Bluetooth headset with built in mic . I had this problem. Unfortunately I have had so many problems with bluetooth sound in general that all these sound settings have become a horrible little "home away from home".

I have no doubt that many if not all bluetooth headphones with mics would experience this. But the Skull Candy rig has a solution. I usually do all my work like this in the "old school" control panel where I select the "sound" link. This is that notorious little box that lists all your sound input and output stuff. Output Devices are on the "playback" tab. Input devices are on the "recording" tab.

Now I knew, Gawd knows HOW i knew this, but I knew that the "mic" on my headset was for "Hands Free" phone calls. So I checked the "Recording" tab and it told me that my mic was a "Hesh 2 wireless Hands-Free AG Audio" device. Now since this was for PHONE CALLS the danged headphones should not be muted when mic was active. But, it was.

I checked the "Playback" tab and bingo. Wrong Playback device, the device I was defaulted to was the "Hesh 2 Wireless Stereo" The next device up the list was what I needed, the headset that worked while the mic was working, "Hesh 2 Wireless Hands-Free AG Audio"

I then disabled the "Hesh 2 Wireless Stereo Device" and enabled the "Hesh 2 Wireless Hands-Free AG audio". That fixed the problem.

I do not know if that kind of "game" can be played with other bluetooth headphones. Since that mic on the bluetooth headphones really was all about making phone calls on Cell Phones hands free, I suspect that they would.

OH and make sure in your audio settings in OBS that you tell that fool thing which headphone you are now sending audio too. If you don't OBS will think you are still using the old one, the one that won't work.

I hope this was helpful. It may not be in which case I will add my curses to your curses regarding all things bluetooth when I pray every day. Good Luck

RSSCommentary

This issue shut my channel down, leading to a psychological breakdown. I switched profiles to another to export everything to reinstall Windows, and BOOM! FIXED! I switched back to the old profile and it works. It has something to do with the profile.

Psylent Rage

Having to run OBS as administrator is not a bug, and it's more or less expected in many situations. If you can't capture a game with Game Capture, that's one of our first recommendations. Just run OBS as Administrator.

As for sound muting when OBS is open, there is nothing in OBS itself that can directly control your system audio devices like that. However, check your Windows Sound Control Panel under the Communication tab, and verify the setting there is set to "Do nothing." This function is called "ducking" and Windows will automatically lower your system volume when it detects an application is using the microphone on your PC.

If that doesn't work, please grab a new log from OBS and we'll go from there.

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THIS WORKED!!!
EVERYBODY is an EXPERT, bluetooth this, profile this, ETC... :D
But THIS is WHAT worked!
FINALLY!!!
Thank you!!!

gumballriggy

I understand that you're frustrated, but there is nothing we can do. The solution to prevent this from happening in OBS is to change the microphone option from Default to something that is NOT the bluetooth microphone, or disabling it if you are not trying to use it. OBS has nothing that can exert control over your desktop audio devices, it only captures them. The drivers and the operating system are then responsible for switching modes, sending audio to OBS, etc.

This is also not just an issue with OBS, any application that tries to open both the microphone and speaker devices for a single bluetooth device will trigger this as well. It's easily replicated, and there's nothing we can do about it. The difference is that by default, OBS is set to capture both of your default output and input device (which could be the bluetooth device), where other streaming programs may not be.

If we could fix this, we would. We have no motivations for denying this is an issue and not fixing this, there is just legitimately nothing we can do.
could hypothetically be 'fixed' by giving a warning prompt if obs detects a user using bluetooth in/out simultaneously, not wanting to argue you, I just don't think this issue is solutionless besides visiting the forums.