Debian NDI discovery problems

bhamil

Hello,
I have been working on this problem for a while, and don’t find much regarding MDNS or SSDP on this forum. I am summarizing info from several sessions.
The church I work for has two NDI cameras that work and are discoverable for OBS on Win10 and mac, but not in Debian linux.
1. PTZ Optics PT20x-NDI-RST-01 (unable to locate latest firmware on their site, currently SOC v6.2.83-ARM v6.3.84THI)
2. Panasonic AW-HN38 (firmware updated ver.2.08)

A desktop NDI Source from a Mac is discoverable in both Win10 and Debian XFCE 20.1 Ulyssa.

In watching network traffic on Wireshark I see the following;
The Panasonic camera appears to only advertise on SSDP, which seems to me doesn’t meet the NDI protocol requirement to use MDNS.
The PTZ Optics camera occasionally puts out SSDP, but I only see UDP to add 239.255.255.251 today. That address should be MDNS, but one test several sessions ago showed mal-formed MDNS packets (I can’t remember the test.)
I wonder if Wireshark isn’t capturing everything because I see TCP traffic between the Panasonic camera and the OBS computer containing the video, but I do not see similar traffic between the PTZ camera and the computer, even though the video from that camera reaches the computer.

I will do more testing, but hope someone has ideas already, or suggestions to test more.

I have to get the log file later.
Thanks,
Bob

R1CH

Forum Admin
Developer
Make sure there is no default firewall on Debian blocking the broadcast / multicast packets.

bhamil

Thanks, There is no active firewall. And the mac gets discovered. I haven't used these at the church, but I have four NDI/HX cameras that work in debian, also (same computer).