Question / Help Custom resolution fails. Logitech c920 webcam

Lusy

Hi,

Can't find a solution by myself. Have a problem with capturing video from my webcam logitech c920 when try to set up custom resolution as 16:9 ratio (1920x1080 or 1280x 720) . Screen just freeze or turns in black and nothing happen.

Please help

log:
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/1b8506d293f8bfcf30c73f21c3c302e1

Attaching screenshots also
video.JPG
output.JPG
video.JPG
output.JPG
default2.JPG
custom.JPG

Kind regards,

SumDim

Make sure you running the current Logitech C920 webcam driver. Go here to install the Logitech Gaming Software:
http://support.logitech.com/en_us/software/lgs

Try the following settings,:

Custom
640x480
Match Output FPS (autoeselect: 30)
Video Format: MJPEG
YUV Color space: 709
YUV Color Range: Partial
Buffering: Auto-detect
Audio Output Mode: Capture audio only

If you run into black screen problems, unplug the USB cable put it back in for Windows to redetect.
Best to plug in the front header panel of your tower case or back panel of the motherboard, not a non-powered USB hub.

Lusy

Hi,

Seems like the problem was in default video format (h264). Since I started to change each param manually and got image stucked when choose h264 instead of MJPEG for any resolution.

Now it works even for 1920x1080. Thanks for kicking me to the right way :)

Working settings:
worksfine.JPG

Joe Snyder

I found this post while searching with the same issue. Unfortunately, these steps did not help me solve my issue. However, the suggestion about Activating/Deactivating from this link https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/issue-with-zoom-q4-camera.62123/page-2 helped me solve my issue. I've reproduced my exact steps below.

1. Start OBS
  2. Create New Scene
  3. Create New Source -- Add Video Capture Device
  4. Device: Integrated Laptop Webcam
  5. Click "Deactivate"
  6. Set Resolution/FPS Type: Custom
  7. Set Resolution: 1280x720
  8. Leave all other settings at default
  9. Click "Activate"
  10. Click "OK"
  11. Unplug All Other Webcams/Capture Cards/Video Sources
  12. Re-plug Next Video Source (for me, my Logitech C920)
  13. Repeat steps 3-10
  14. Repeat steps 11-13 as necessary
edit: I've realized the issue is caused by trying to adjust the settings of the Camera while the camera is in use.

I wanted to have a 16x9 Source from my webcam (for fullscreen) and a 4x3 Source (for facecam with a game/window), and realized I could not add the 4x3 resolution, even with the Activate/Deactivate issue in mind, because the camera was still in use in the 16x9 scene (also, the blue LED that indicates the cam is in-use was lit).

To be able to have both aspect ratios as sources, I needed to discard the 4x3 source, then edit the setttings of the 16x9 source and check the box labeled "Deactivate when not showing".

Last edited:

jamiehughes

Make sure that you have the official drivers for the logitech C920 installed. You can get them from here and download the Logitech Webcam Software.
This comes with the drivers that enable you to use 1080p video in obs. With the windows default drivers you are restricted to around 480p (Hence the black screen or frozen cam when you try to set the custom resolution to 1920x1080)

Hope this helps!

naya_5102

So I installed the drivers however I do not have any HD options for my webcam...these are the only options I have...request help

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• C920.png
    C920.png
    241.7 KB · Views: 1,899

SiiNerGia

Hi,

Seems like the problem was in default video format (h264). Since I started to change each param manually and got image stucked when choose h264 instead of MJPEG for any resolution.

Now it works even for 1920x1080. Thanks for kicking me to the right way :)

Working settings:
View attachment 34223
Hello, i just made an account to thank you for coming back and giving the solution. I had the same problem and had been lookin for some help all day long without finding anything since not many people even know they have to use custom settings for the c920 or the image will be 4:3. I had even been doing the same as you and tried to change every option just to see if something changed but for some reason i didnt change the video format so I never noticed that was the problem.

Again, thanks for coming back to give the solution.
Have a nice day!

DarkAcreJack

I'm having the thread's issue and it's only happened suddenly, like one of those "wake up in the morning and now it's not working" suddenly. My main C920 is rendering perfectly in 1920x1080, but the secondary is only reaching 1600x896. Both cameras are on Logitech drivers 1.3.89.0

Just spent an hour troubleshooting with the usual unplug/replug, turn on/off, add/remove. Wondering now if this is a known issue or? This happened after updating to OBS 23.1.0 (64 bit). Thanks for your time.

MadeUpMasters

Putting this here in case anyone is as dumb as I am. I didn't see any options for resolution, I only saw this
1706544270615.png

Somehow I failed to notice the scrollbar on the right, so when I switched to custom and the screen went black I couldn't figure it out. To make matters worse I'm a CS graduate and tech founder...I spent 45 min on this lol. If your view looks like this, try scrolling down.