Custom css for YouTube chat stopped working suddenly

imaliyah

Hello, I have been using the same custom css for my YouTube live chat for months, using this website here: https://chatv2.septapus.com/ | all the sudden OBS will not acknowledge my custom css at all and it showing the default YouTube chat in the box. Any ideas why? Never had this issue before yesterday.

supersky712

Hello, I have been using the same custom css for my YouTube live chat for months, using this website here: https://chatv2.septapus.com/ | all the sudden OBS will not acknowledge my custom css at all and it showing the default YouTube chat in the box. Any ideas why? Never had this issue before yesterday.
Just registed to comment on this issue too, was litterally working fine yesterday and decided to stop working for no reason. Maybe Youtube updated something cause nothing from the website nor OBS seemed to update.

resolvve

Registered to add some additional info on this issue. Looks like YouTube pushed breaking changes today that stop OBS from setting innerHTML (and therefore injecting CSS). Here is a snippet of the logs that pop when this happens:
screenshot-2024-08-07-191956-png.106693
Screenshot 2024-08-07 191956.png

And in text for copy ability:
17:33:05.667: [obs-browser: 'Chat'] Error: This document requires 'TrustedHTML' assignment. (:1)
17:33:05.668: [obs-browser: 'Chat'] Error: Uncaught TypeError: Failed to set the 'innerHTML' property on 'Element': This document requires 'TrustedHTML' assignment.
17:34:34.329: [obs-browser: 'Chat'] Error: This document requires 'TrustedHTML' assignment. (:1)
17:34:34.330: [obs-browser: 'Chat'] Error: Uncaught TypeError: Failed to set the 'innerHTML' property on 'Element': This document requires 'TrustedHTML' assignment.

This sort of issue seems have a number of workarounds on a cursory inspection, but I don't know what might be best fit for OBS.

Last edited:

Rangel Martins

I tested OBS 27 and yes it worked, but I was unable to activate the websocket plugin in this old version.

I solved one thing and the other I didn't, I think the websocket plugin isn't available for the OBS 27 version?

nariapanthar

I have the same problem ... And I cant figure out the github fix ... so any help on this ? on what to do or maybe its better to just wait for another update from OBS ?

I cannot believe Google wouldn't show me this forum post last week. I have been having this issue since then and I have been trying to find a solution, going back version doesn't work because it breaks the plugins and scripts that I have, using an older version of OBS-Browser from github does break every other Browser Source that I use. I have downloaded and compiled the code with the fix and it seems to fixed the issue. I have attached the release build obs-studio for those who are not able to compile it for themselves. Have a good day out there streaming, I am sure I will . (PS: I am not the one streaming, I am doing this for someone else who does )

BTW, You have to unpack this bad boy in C:\Program Files\obs-studio\obs-plugins\64bit

Attachments

• obs-browser-css-fix.7z
    294.2 KB · Views: 1,955

Xyphoe

I cannot believe Google wouldn't show me this forum post last week. I have been having this issue since then and I have been trying to find a solution, going back version doesn't work because it breaks the plugins and scripts that I have, using an older version of OBS-Browser from github does break every other Browser Source that I use. I have downloaded and compiled the code with the fix and it seems to fixed the issue. I have attached the release build obs-studio for those who are not able to compile it for themselves. Have a good day out there streaming, I am sure I will . (PS: I am not the one streaming, I am doing this for someone else who does )

BTW, You have to unpack this bad boy in C:\Program Files\obs-studio\obs-plugins\64bit

That sadly didn't work for me for my YouTube browser source chat window. But I'm on OBS Studio v28.0.3. Will I have to update OBS? What version are you on?

Rangel Martins

I believe that CSS styling is valid for any link within YouTube. Here it worked, I tested it by changing the font of a chat and it worked.

I'm on the latest version OBS Studop 30.2.2. Without using this method, I tested OBS 32 Bits version 27 and CUSTOM CSS I had no problems and it was possible to customize

Xyphoe

I've not long updated to the latest version of OBS 30.2.2, dropped in the obs-browser.dll and obs-browser-page.exe files (after moving the original ones out the way to a safe place as a backup), and no joy - even after a reboot. My browser source of the YouTube chat window the CSS applied is still failing.

I went and grabbed the default one from https://chatv2.septapus.com and still no joy.

Tried a reboot, and still the same.

Help!! I have a stream supposed to start in 3 minutes :(

Rangel Martins

You use an external website to customize the chat css, use the right link to youtube chat https://www.youtube.com/live_chat using css editor programs to style it.

*It's another site/url that you showed and it wasn't supposed to cause a problem with the CSS, the bug for me was just with the youtube.com link

supersky712

Oh you are THE BEST, thank you so much! :D