Bug Report Crash with «Could not find locale.ini path» when opening app Settings

Bobby©

Probably, a duplicated issue. If so, please point to a thread with solution.

When I open settings while a brand new scene is showing, settings window opens fine and look like working fine, but if I add at least one source, settings stop opening and app starts crashing each time a Settings button or menu item is clicked.

I resolve this issue by deleting all scenes from basic\scenes folder, but what if I need to change settings for an existing scene without havong to re-create all the stuff I did there?

This issue reproduces in x32 version while x64 doesn't even start, even after a clean re-install,

Crash report and logs attached.

Attachments

• Crash 2018-03-08 05-44-46.txt
    44.6 KB · Views: 363
  • 2018-03-08 05-43-30.txt
    6.4 KB · Views: 171

Bobby©

I've found a workaround, but it's a quite annoying sequence of actions that takes too much time to perform them each time one needs to change scene settings. Is there any progress in the issue investigation?

Suslik V

Can you post last crash log? What installation folder you are using? Running from shortcut or from the file explorer?

Bobby©

Please find crash log file attached. The app is installed into default folder «C:\Program Files (x86)\obs-studio\bin\32bit». I tried launching it both ways - from start menu and from Explorer - it crashes every time. As I said earlier, launching x64 version of the app by desktop shortcut (as well as from explorer) still fails with another crash

Attachments

• 2018-03-23 03-13-48.txt
    11.3 KB · Views: 126

Bobby©

It seems the crash file is not created when this error happens (the crash folder just remains empty).
As for running an existing installation of OBS in portable mode, when I try doing it, the following error dialog is shown:
---------------------------
Error
Failed to create directory ../../config/obs-studio/basic
OK

I also tried to download "latest" zip from github as it was recommended on the page you mentioned (it is suddenly OBS_0_659b that is dated 31 Aug 2016) and it seems a totally different software (or really just a too old OBS)

Another attempt was to copy an existing installation of OBS to a different folder out of Program Files. It helped starting x64 version and this error wasn't reproduced there. But x32 version still fails still with the same message still without crash report and still with only log file created. Please find it attached.

Attachments

• 2018-03-24 05-43-32.txt
    11.5 KB · Views: 55

Suslik V

I forgot to say to you that you do not need to copy your config folder to portable OBS Studio folder. You need to remove "config" folder from OBS Studio's portable mode folder (it will be recreated by application itself).

Generally, you can't access some folders on your PC thus OBS Studio unable to start properly. Insufficient access rights or so.

Bobby©

Does it mean that I may continue running OBS in portable mode only in order to avoid this error? Is it what you propose as a solution?

Suslik V

The solution - is access rights. By some reason you have lost your rights to access the files that OBS Studio require to run properly. You need to delete "%APPDATA%\obs-studio" folder manually and delete "c:\program files (x86)\obs-studio" folder manually. Restart your PC - or even switch it off/on (no hibernation or whatever else - just full restart). Thus you can make clean reinstall of the application - by downloading installer (https://obsproject.com/download) and run it again.

The portable mode creates its own "config" folder in the directory you made. Thus it doesn't affected by your OBS Studio installation files.

If it was not clear:
  1. Download .7z (.zip) file https://github.com/obsproject/obs-studio/releases (it may be "small" or "full" but not "installer" under the "Assets" spoiler).
  2. Make new folder on your PC, for example C:\OBS
  3. Unpack content of the downloaded file to the folder you made in #2:
    C:\
    • OBS
      • bin
      • data
      • obs-plugins
  4. Make new .txt file named: "portable_mode", in the same folder:
    • OBS
      • bin
      • data
      • obs-plugins
      • portable_mode.txt
  5. Now open file explorer and run the C:\OBS\bin\64bit\obs64.exe
  6. New folder named "config" should appear:
    • OBS
      • bin
      • config
      • data
      • obs-plugins
      • portable_mode.txt
Now you are using OBS Studio portable mode.

You can even save it (OBS folder) on the USB memory stick and run it on the other compatible system.

Last edited:

RealBukaTV

The solution - is access rights. By some reason you have lost your rights to access the files that OBS Studio require to run properly. You need to delete "%APPDATA%\obs-studio" folder manually and delete "c:\program files (x86)\obs-studio" folder manually. Restart your PC - or even switch it off/on (no hibernation or whatever else - just full restart). Thus you can make clean reinstall of the application - by downloading installer (https://obsproject.com/download) and run it again.
This is partially incorrect, the ACTUAL folder for OBS if you are using the 64-bit version of OBS is under "Program Files" NOT under "Program Files (x86)". The "(x86)" folder is for programs that run in 32-bit mode or emulates both x86 (32-bit) AND x64 (64-bit) flavors of the program. A pure 64-bit program will ONLY appear in the correct folder which is just titled "Program Files" (without the "(x86)" additional text).

Also, any plug-ins that are not fully 64-bit compliant may get added to the "(x86)" folder and may end up alone and stranded (like the StreamDeck plug-in does) when you install it. The plugins may be installed in an actual folder called "64bit" in a subdirectory of the "Program Files (x86)" folder but they are not TRUE 64bit unless they install in the genuine "Program Files" directory.

If the files are NOT in the "Program Files" directory they are NOT pure 64bit and should be treated as such.

Here is an example of fake 64-bit DLL files that are running as BOTH 32-bit AND 64-bit because they are installed in the wrong directory!

Attachments

• 2022-06-12 02_04_01-64bit.png
    2022-06-12 02_04_01-64bit.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 52

Suslik V

@RealBukaTV Ha! The solution was written according the use case and time. A lot of changed. For example, today OBS Studio will look for directories specified by the OBS_PLUGINS_PATH and OBS_PLUGINS_DATA_PATH environment variables to load external plugins in addition to the default program's location.

You need to compare string-by-string your crash logs if you think you have the same issue - sure, there is difference! Thus, this solution cannot apply to you...