Compability to Steam Value Anti Cheat (VAC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firestorm_01

OBS can capture graphics directly from game using game capture. It is great feature but in description it says that it is inrudes into process. As yout know popular digital game service, known as Steam has Anti Cheat System (VAC) that can potentially detect OBS like cheat and ban you.
So someone can say Is OBS compatible with VAC, or not? Maybe someone already expereinced ban using OBS? Or insted may someone use game capture on multiplayer game, protected by VAC and everything was OK?
Is developers already contacted with Steam devs to resolve potential issue? It may be important. No one want to screw up his Steam account.

Grimio

I wouldn't worry much about it, it's very unlikely something like this would happen. If you want to be extra careful, you could use monitor capture which doesn't directly interact with the game.

Firestorm_01

Yes I can, but game capture for me solve minor graphics bug in Killing Floor. It is not work properly with FFSplit Overlay in fulsreen (texture flikering) but in windowed I have lower fps and as I said some graphical glithes.
OBS with game capture solved all problems for Killing Floor. And I like that. Thank to developers.

Maybe someone can directly confirm that he (or she) use OBS with game capture mode on VAC protected servers and everything was OK?

Possible this question should be in FAQ.
P.S.: I am sure that Steam support will not answer for that question for reason.

Grimio

I don't think anyone can actually guarantee you anything. It's basically common sense that you won't get in trouble for using OBS.

Firestorm_01

Grimio said:
I don't think anyone can actually guarantee you anything. It's basically common sense that you won't get in trouble for using OBS.
Yes. Thank you. I just want to see real positive example with OBS game capture and VAC. It will be excellent answer.
As I wrote, Steam Support will not ask it for sure.

Shifter

Firestorm_01 said:
Grimio said:
Yes. Thank you. I just want to see real positive example with OBS game capture and VAC. It will be excellent answer.

Don't forget that if you get banned while streaming to let's say Twitch as an example. You will have VoD:s of when you got banned and you can prove your innocence.

Firestorm_01

Shifter said:
Firestorm_01 said:
Grimio said:

Don't forget that if you get banned while streaming to let's say Twitch as an example. You will have VoD:s of when you got banned and you can prove your innocence.
There is one thing. As I know VAC don't ban immediately. You may wait your ban for weeks, after you've been spotted.

So I need just confirmation that someone used OBS with game capture mode on VAC protected multiplayer servers and still have clean Steam account.

Lain

Forum Admin
Lain
Forum Moderator
Developer
I know people who use it with TF2 constantly since I released it and have never had a single problem with it

MattMan

There are loads and loads and loads of people who stream with OBS and play Steam games with VAC. You're safe.

Dajova

Firestorm_01 said:
Thank you. I assume everything will be OK. If something will happen with my account I will write here.
If that would be the case, however, ppl would have been banned long ago for using Fraps, since they do basically the same thing (hooking the graphical part of the game) ... and i don't know anyone ever that has ever gotten banned for using it in Steam.

PeterSvP

VAC is developer-driven database, like anti-viruses. OBS must be actually REPORTED to be considered a cheat - in the general case. However, the way VAC works, any developers can decide to request a ban because of hooking. The rest is up to VAC. Steam Support will usually not correctly investigate manual VAC requests without the help of the developers and nagging of users, so it's up to developers as well.
The best solution? Spread the word about OBS, so developers know it and don't accidentally ban you out because of it :) CS:GO, TF2 = SAFE. Dota 2 should now be safe. Non-valve games and Indies like me integrating VAC manually: Questionable if they care about hooking and decide to report unknown to them apps. So treat OBS as safe to games that know about that OBS is safe.
And, Yes, VALVE DO lift VAC bans. But the process is heavy.

Jack0r

The Helping Squad
Please dont necro 2 year old threads unless there is any valuable information to be spread. -closed

Status
Not open for further replies.